• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small-bore flintlock for a newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

science_guy

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing my first flintlock and was wondering if anyone had experience with the .32 and .36 caliber rifles offered by Cabela's. They call them the "Blue Ridge" rifle. I'd like to use this rifle for small-game.

I have a .32 cal Blueridge Rifle. I can tell you all about it. First off when I recieved it I peeled the Cabela's sticker off and whatdayaknoe Pedersoli Frontier Rifle. So that may help you a little. The gun is a great shooter. I don't get to shoot it much but I did a shoot at a Rendezvous and shot a 12 round course and didn't miss fire once. All I did was adjust the flint one time and I probably didn't even need to do that. The wood to metal finish is good. The gun has a weird feel to it because of the shape but I have gotten used to it. I am 6'4" so it seems a little small to me but I love it.

I bought one ,a 32 cal flintlock,from Cabels.It's alot of fun to shoot and I've hunted squirrel with it.The 32 cal. has a reputation of fouling but when I use a wonder wad over the powder charge I can shoot five to ten shots without having to swab the bore.

I can't tell you anything about the Blue Ridge. Everything I read and hear is satisfactory. I've owned and used both the 32 and the 36 caliber, I prefer the 36. I believe it's a more versatile caliber and a bit more forgiving. One is as accurate as the other and as far as I'm concerned head shots are a must with either caliber. Both are destructive with body shots on small game. Whichever you choose I think you'll like it as small bores are simply a lot of fun to say nothing of the economics of small charges and balls.

Vic

I have a cva 32 and enjoy it greatly. this little rifle is a real tack driver. I have it worked in with 26 gr FFg and prb. sweet little shooter.

I like the 36 because it is a better all a round caliber and also you can buy 000 buck shot (.350) and a patch, works great and 5 lbs of ammo will run you about $8 :hmm:

TheGunCellar

Everyone will have an opinion on cal. for reasons that work for them. For me in Ohio, I prefer the 32cal. The 36cal. is still to small to do anything with that you can't do with the 32cal. You can also get #1 or #0 shot, that will work also. Just depends on your patching and which brand of shot you buy. Some brands are not to the standard size that other brands of shot is.

Caliber is truly a personal preference. I shoot a .36 T/C Seneca and it does well with Hornady 000 shot. Cheap, convenient and accurate.

I have not shot the Blue Ridge, but have seen a couple of them and they are a nice entry level ML option.

CS

Back