• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a smallbore muzzleloader for plinking and maybe competition shoots. What is a good but cheaper small bore rifle? Do you recommend .32, .36, or .40cal? I am considering a flintlock but either or. Does GM or anyone offer a barrel for my Renegade?

Traditions makes a Crockett in .32...The newer ones are not that expensive $350ish. They are very accurate guns. For general plinkin' I stay with a .310 ball and thicker patch. You'll have less problem with fouling. For competition, step up tot he .315 ball and a thinner patch.

giz

I had a .32 cal CVA, a 32 cal in line and now have a 28 caliber. A 32 is a little narrow for a wooden ramrod.

I've had no complaints about the 32 cals. Shooting 10 grain loads stretches a pound of powder to 700 shots per pound.

One of the things that affects accuracy is the conistency of powder charges from shot to shot. When you get to smaller calibers, the powder measurement for each charge becomes more critical. I've seen a guy put five 32 caliber shots into a standard postage stamp at 25 yds., but he had to be fairly particular about how he loaded. After all 1 or 2 grains of powder don't make a huge overall difference to a 190 grain 45 caliber ball, but to a rather skimpy little 32 can make a larger difference in elevation./

I have talked to both Getz, Long Hamock about the best target caliber. Both told me that the .40 was one of the most accurate calibers. I don't know why it is, but it does seem to be a bit more accurate than any of my others. So, I'd recommend the .40 caliber. It is great for target shooting and still small enough for a squirrel gun if you choose to use it for that.

Back when I did alot of muzzleloader competition shooting, nearly all the top shooters were using calibers between 38 and 45. There was a guy named Woody from down in Virginia, that shot a stubby fat barrel 38 and could, offhand, shoot 5 shots into one ragged hole.

There is a balance between powder measurement, enough heft to carry energy, and enough to not lose stability out to distances of 100 yds. Not that it requires alot of energy to punch paper, but certainly enough to maintain stability and not drop too much. 40 is probably right about that so called happy medium.

Billnpatti said:
I have talked to both Getz, Long Hamock about the best target caliber. Both told me that the .40 was one of the most accurate calibers. I don't know why it is, but it does seem to be a bit more accurate than any of my others. So, I'd recommend the .40 caliber. It is great for target shooting and still small enough for a squirrel gun if you choose to use it for that.

At ranges of 50 yards or more the larger calibers all shoot better than 32s.
The 40 is likely the best compromise in ball weight and recoil. Recoil, movement of the firearm before the ball clears the muzzle can effect accuracy since it requires a more uniform hold from shot to shot than a lower recoiling caliber.
The heavy bench guns are all larger calibers so pure accuracy in one caliber over another is not the question. But the heavier calibers likely need a heavier rifle to shoot as well for the average shooter as the lighter calibers.
But the larger calibers have advantages in wind bucking etc.
So the compromise.
Short answer is the 40 is a good choice.

Dan

I have always heard good things about the .40 caliber. The ability to retain power and accuracy down range. Besides it's excellent accuracy, the .40 caliber is the cut off for small and large game in several states. In California, I used my .45 cal. flinter for competition and to take several rabbits and squirrels, but it's too large to use for small game here in Alabama. Looks like a new .40 cal. is in my future.

:thumbsup: I personally would not get rid of my 40 cal for anything!!! It's the most accurate rifle that I have owned. I purchased the parts from T.V.M. and built it. you can't go wrong with a forty db

The world loves a 40.

Although, it's actually a little too big for small game and a little too small for big game.

It's one fun plinker though!

I can load and shoot my .40 all day without cleaning using 45 grs of Goex 3 FG thin patch and whale oil. With no wind it's a ragged hole at 50 yds.

Tradition's web-site lists the Crockett at $434.00 plus shipping. It is a bit light for serious competition shooting--both in weight and in caliber.

Latest posts

Back