• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small pistol primers as percussion caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedgoat44

32 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone try a variation of this as a homemade percussion cap option for times of scarcity? There are (of course) youtube videos of folks doing all kinds of things to make caps, and this is one of several ways folks have tried to DIY. It might be a horrible idea and I'm in no way condoning it - just curious if anyone has tried it?
I hear of adapters for primers that were once commercially available, but I've yet to see one. Small Pistol primers seem to always be in decent supply even in times of scarcity for other components. Thanks all!

Clear PVC tube of the type used for aquarium pumps friction fit over nipples cut just long enough to secure a primer. Not all revolvers may have enough clearance, but for rifles shotguns and single shot pistols, they will work.

You can get 10 feet at Home Depot for less than $10, enough to last a while.

Being an "unmentionable" reloader as well, I wouldn't say small pistol primers are always in decent supply, in fact right now, of the four main types they are the scarcest in my latest perusing, but they come and go.

Back