• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoked a roedoe today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Checking the baits the last 3 weeks made me recognizing that these critters won't come in the evening and won't come in the early morning. So I had the plan to go out in the late morning at about 08:30 p.m. So I took my .50 Deerhunter and my baitbucket and walked slowly along a trail uphill. After about 100 meters, always watching into the forest beside the trail, I saw something grey behind a bush under a furtree. So I went down, grabbed the Deerhunter from my shoulder, get up slowly again and looked. The grey thing was still there. It was a roe, not recognizing that it was in great danger. I aimed shortly and then BOOM! I saw it breaking down through the smoke. I reloaded quickly, but it died in its tracks. When I went to the place of harvest I saw that it still moves with the legs and the mouth, so I gave it a "gameover" shot. Then I started field dressing. During this I noticed that the second shot wouldn't have been necessary because the .490 RB went through the left side, scratched the stomache, went through the diaphragm, the liver and got stuck in the down lounge. It weight was 18 kg field dressed, distance was 25 m, charge 90 grs WANO PP, .490 PRB 0.010'' lubed patch, spittled wad.

The unlucky thing is that I only had my conventional cam with me so the pics have to be developed first. Will post them asap.

Regards

Kirrmeister

:thumbsup: Congratulations!........good hunting; please hurry with the pictures
Soggy

Way to go! I hunt like that also sometimes . I wait until about 9 to 10 Am and then stay out until dark. Ive seen and taken a number of deer between 11AM and 2PM.

It's always a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Great job and I'm looking forward to the pictures!

Waidmanns Heil, Dirk! Hunters greeting, indeed...

Please add this congratulations to the list; perhaps someday you'll be hunting the Adirondacks and I'll be hunting in Germany. I've read that roe deer are even more secretive than whitetails. Well done!

Hi GW,

roe venison is very mild and doesn't taste so strange like red deer/elk or perhaps whitetail. for me it is the best venison beneath wild boar.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Latest posts

Back