• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smoking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stfilcek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of tobacco y'all do and if any of ya ever made yer own pipes and if so what outta etc.

I like a black cavendish, and I'm partial to my clay cutty pipe. I once made one out of deer antler, with a sourwood or ash stem...I didnt care for it. It was kinda harsh to smoke.
Highlander

Cheap pipe! Just cost you a Buck! :wink:

Can't believe I said that!

~Some days we are the flies, some days we are the
windshield~

I smoke everything: aromatic, Burley, Virginias, VA/Perique/whatever, english, balkan, lakeland [the stuff the smells like flowers/soap]
I've got several pounds of tobacco stored, as well as many tins. I've got over 160 pipes....and I'm just a college student! :blah:

I've made my own briar pipes with supplies [and briar] from pimo pipe craft.

check out my photobucket set at: http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o102/WJUStudent/Tobacco/
Just an accumulation of tobacco pics for the past year

Last edited by a moderator:
I seldom smoke, but I do enjoy a pipe of Captain Black every now and then.

Make my own pipe? Well, I've been known to make a pipe or three over the years. Here's a couple pics of the sheet-iron pipes I hammer up. Their shape is very similar to the clay pipes you see. And they date just about as long and early as the clay pipes - in both sheet iron and sheet brass. From early/mid 1600's down at the Tunica village sites in Alabama, to the mid/late 1600's at Seneca village sites in New York, and around the Great Lakes and Ohio River valley up through 1800. Even one note from 1700 of one out near present day Mankato Minnesota. Yes they can get hot in use. But so do the clay pipes.

IronPipesLong1.jpg

IronPipes6b.jpg

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

i'm lucky i have a really nice smoke shop here in East lansing. they have some of their own house blends that date way back. i really like their scottish tweed. but as for pipes i like to use my reed stem pipe from Jas. townsend. it wasn't real expensive but it gives a good smoke. plus i love the look of it. I call it my gandalf pipe for obvious reasons. here is the link to them

gandalf pipe

Back in the days when I smoked I used a clay pipe mostly. But on a couple of occasions I made pipes out of corn cobs. Be sure to use the widest cob you can find -- they smoke out pretty quickly.

I once bought some bone pipe stems from Crazy Crow or Grey Owl ... I don not remember which one... I took a one of the bones from a buffalo toe and drilled holes in it so the bone pipe stem fitted in. It was a very nice little pipe that smoked very well and had a very original trappers look! When I quit smoking my wife took possesion of it and put it in her 'plunder bag'...

Sadly pipe tobacco has taken a backseat to cigarettes for the time being.

But I did smoke on a regular basis, Ashton Rainy Day(When I am around the lady) and Frog Morton on The Bayou when I don't have to worry about offending noses.

Highlander73 said:
I once made one out of deer antler, with a sourwood or ash stem...I didnt care for it. It was kinda harsh to smoke.
Highlander

My favorite pipe was made from the base of an antler, using a drilled out brow tine for the stem. It's one of the sweetest smoking pipes I've ever owned - the key is in getting it broken in right. (Anybody who tries to smoke one to break it in might as well plan on blending in with the frogs, 'cause it'll make ya turn green and wanna' croak!) I broke mine in by stoking it up and then holding it out the window of my ex's car while I drove down the highway at 60 mph for a couple of miles... 3 trips from Walker, Ks. to Gorham, Ks. and back (6 miles, round trip) with the pipe fired up and sticking out the window broke it in perfectly! :thumbsup:

As to tobacco, I don't really have a preference, but since I chew when I'm on the trail I'll usually just shave a little off a carot of Rocky Mtn. or Cumberland twist.

I smoked a pipe for 30 years, and had to give it up due to respiratory problems. When I did smoke, I smoked a custom blend tobacco, called " Sable Blend", from Jon's Pipe Shop, in Champaign, Illinois. Pat tells me he ships more Sable Blend all over the world than all his other tobaccos combined.

Again, thanks for the comments. I generally smoke a blend I make from Austins out of Cavendish, Half and Half and English plus. Add a couple shots of whiskey to a pound and shake well and let "fester" for a couple weeks to smooth and blend it. Have clay, brier, cob and miercham (?) even spell check didn't help on this one. Smoke to relax and a lot in the bush to keep the bugs away from the face.

Had a couple good antler pipes but always broke like cobs do after a while. Think the juice builds up in the antler and just swells it apart. Have seen homemade ash wood pipes that were 40 years old though.

Mike Ameling said:
I seldom smoke, but I do enjoy a pipe of Captain Black every now and then.

Make my own pipe? Well, I've been known to make a pipe or three over the years. Here's a couple pics of the sheet-iron pipes I hammer up.

Mike, I've seen you post this before, and I drooled all over the computer then. Do you sell these?

Scotty R said:
Does anyone not regularly smoke except when your at Rondies ?

Yes. I rarely smoke at home. I chew at work, as long as the wife doesn't visit. :nono: But she approves of smoking in the field!

Fillmore Shooter said:
Mike, I've seen you post this before, and I drooled all over the computer then. Do you sell these?

Hi. Yes, I do on occasion sell/trade some of these sheet iron pipes. You can email direct about them at [email protected] - but please put something like "iron pipes" in the subject line to help me pick it out of all of the spam.

These sheet iron pipes (and sheet brass) show up in the early to mid 1600's down in Alabama at the Tunica Indian village sites, the mid to late 1600's Seneca Indian village sites in upstate New York, the middle Colonies in the early 1700's, and all around the Great Lakes and upper Ohio and Mississippi River valleys in the mid to late 1700's. They are an interesting project to make. Yes, they do look pretty much just like the clay pipes in shape/size - even just the pipe bowls for use with a reed stem.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks

p.s. who's now going to crash/sleep for a few hours - I hosted a "pack-in" 18th century camp/trek this weekend. A dozen of us braved the weather to get well smoked, dine on trout, (the squirrels were safe - this time), tell true tales, and hike back out just before the brief snow showers showed up.

I never smoke at any other place but out at camp--but I do enjoy a pipe then. I smoke Cap't Black, or Borkum Riff. For a correct fur trade era rope tobacco, look here:

http://www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk/twist.asp

Not for the faint of heart, I'm told.

Rod

Latest posts

Back