• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore barrel for GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim gray

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a drop in smoothbore barrel available for a Lyman GPR? I am looking for a .62 caliber smoothbore in particular. I was hoping I could find something that I could use in a gun that I already have, because it would be so terrible :: if I had to by a whole new gun, such as the T/C Renegade in .58 caliber and a spare barrel, but I just may have to make that sacrifice.
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Track of the wolf can make you up a GPR smoothie in 50 or 54 cal. The GPR has 15/16 barrel so the .62 won't fit as it is 1" across the flats. I ended up buying a .56 T/C Renegade smoothie so if I want a bigger bore I can get it as it is 1" across the flats.

You might check with Joe and Suzi at the Gun Works in Springfield, Or. I think Joe can make a .20ga/.62 cal smmothbore barrel for a GPR.

You might check with Joe and Suzi at the Gun Works in Springfield, Or. I think Joe can make a .20ga/.62 cal smmothbore barrel for a GPR.

Rebel, Have you got a telephone number, OTHER THAN (541) 741-4118 ???

I got this number and a name of "Don" from someone on the forum last year. The above number gets me to a private residence, or a fax. (I think that's the same number that is on their web page too, I can't remember)
Any idea on what those barrels might be going for? I have been thinking about this for some time, I would like to get it done this year for sure.

Russ

You guys realy have me thinking here. I have a GPR flinter that came with a 1 x 32 fast twist extra barrel for conicals -- that I am not going to use. I wonder if I can have this criter bored out and get a bolster and nipple for the ignition and then stick it on my Lyman Trade rifle stock and use it as a smothie?

I picked up a Lyman Deerstalker with two interchangeable barrels. One is a .54 & the other is a 20 ga. (marked "CAL 20) made by Investarms. The 20 ga. is half octagon & half round.
Don't know, but you might be able to get something for your GPR right from Lyman.

Russ, you have the right phone number. Their web addy is:
www.thegunworks.com There mailing address is:
The Gun Works
247 S. 2nd St.
Springfield, Or. 97477
Hope this helps. Not sure on the cost, but i am going to be up there next Sat. and could check and see if they can do it, and if so for how much. Also if they can do it in cap and flint lock.

I also shoot a GPR flinter. I need a fowler and was planning on hopefully picking one up this July at Dixon's fair. However, getting a smoothie barrel for my gpr would not be a bad idea if the price was right. Please post your results on your search for a barrel....Thanks

EVERYONE,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the input.

And RiverRat I'll be sure to let you know if I find a shoothbore barrel and any information I can get on it.

Mr. Flash_in_the_Pan,
We have the Lyman Trade Rifle (flint) that we ordered a 28 gauge barrel for, from TOTW; made by Green Mt.. Sat we made the 50 mile trip into the Post Office and picked up same. Was reviewing you post and decided to give it a try this morning. As forewarned, had to remove (file down) a small amount of metal from the sides of the hook so that it would slide into the breach face. Additionally, had to remove a small amount of metal from the end of the ram rod guide (track) where it met the stock for necessary clearance.
Of course there was over a foot of snow covering our bench mounted vise but the temperature is a very comfortable -36 degrees below zero with a mild breeze and it is not snowing. The Sun won't be up for a couple of hours as yet as it is only 0930hrs (AM). Such is life and it promises to be a beautiful day.
There is a small gap between the end of the barrel plug face and the breach face but everything seems very solid. Perhaps if we removed a small amount of metal from the end of the hook, it will set flush. Also the flats are not as wide as the corresponding surface of the hooked breech; to the naked eye.
Realize we are talking apples and oranges (GPR vs LTR) but hope we have not wasted your time with this post.
Best Wishes

Windwalker,

Thank you,I appreciate your response. I am always glad to learn any information that I can about muzzleloading and the description of a beautiful Alaska morning was great. Anyway you gave me another option to consider, since I also have an LTR.

Russ, and others, i contacted Joe and Suzi at The Gun Works. Joe said that he can't make a .20 ga. replacement barrel for the 15/16" Lyman barrel. I am checking back with them to see if a .28 ga. is possible. Will let you know what i find out.

Russ, and others, i contacted Joe and Suzi at The Gun Works. Joe said that he can't make a .20 ga. replacement barrel for the 15/16" Lyman barrel. I am checking back with them to see if a .28 ga. is possible. Will let you know what i find out.

A big "THANK YOU" .. Rebel. Out of curosity, what number did you use?

Russ

Of course, you could always inlet the 1/32" thicker 20 gauge barrel(per side) barrel into the channel. 1/32" is very easily removed from each flat, and in some cases no wood would be removed at all- probably. This allows a 1" barrel be used. Of course, this makes the original barel a bit sloppy.

Ok guys, here is the reply i got from the Gun Works.

"We can make the barrel in smooth bore 28Ga but we do not make the "drop-in" barrels now. We can sell you the breech plug and all the parts required for assembly."

So Windwalker, howd the smoothi barrel do? I can identify with the weather conditions as here in th U.P. of Mi. we are in a deep freeze as well. Might just take a little hike across the Lake Superior ice pack and take advantage of the exchange rate in Cananda.

Ok, here is the cost of the barrel and parts.

"The barrel will run $125.00 plus S/H
Parts need will run about $80.00.
All parts will be in the "white" requiring either browning or blueing...
Sincerely,
The Gun Works"

Thanks Rebel, You're a good man! IMHO that ain't too bad. To the best of my knowledge, that is about the only way to fly for those of us with a GPR that are considering making a smothie conversion.
I'm going to sleep on this a bit, but I've got that feeling...got that "itch" is probably a better word.

Russ

Back