• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore barrel for GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rebel,when you go in the gunshop do you hire a guide to find a way out or do you go often enough you know your way?I haven't been there for awhile,quite a place, if Susie and Joe don't have it I don't need it,muzzleloader stuff that is.

Russ, and others, i contacted Joe and Suzi at The Gun Works. Joe said that he can't make a .20 ga. replacement barrel for the 15/16" Lyman barrel. I am checking back with them to see if a .28 ga. is possible. Will let you know what i find out.

Thanks, Rebel.

Of course, you could always inlet the 1/32" thicker 20 gauge barrel(per side) barrel into the channel. 1/32" is very easily removed from each flat, and in some cases no wood would be removed at all- probably. This allows a 1" barrel be used. Of course, this makes the original barel a bit sloppy.

Daryl,
I can't justify the risk of not being able to use my GPR with the original barrel. I think the sloppy barrel fit would seriously screw up the accuracy.

I think the 28 gauge would be okay, but I think I still might get that Renegade in .58 caliber. If I ever get the opportunity to hunt elk somewhere, the .58 caliber would be nice to have.

Okay, who am I trying to fool, I would want the .58 caliber with or without the possibility of an elk hunt.

You are more than welcome. Just wasn't sure if you had seen it, and didn't want ya tryin' to order a .20 ga barrel from them.

I guess my question is; Why would anyone want a smoothbore barrel on a GPR?
Now that I only shoot custom guns I have a GPR gathering dust so the post interested me. However I don't think the GPR stock is conducive to good wingshooting. So the only use for it would be maybe rabbits or squirrels or turkeys.
Which brings me to my point. For the cost of the barrel and fittings for the GPR you are close to halfway to the cost of components for a fowler.
I think I'll save a little more cash, sell the GPR and build a fowler.

I guess I'm a little confused why you can't have a 20 gauge barrel for the GPR. Comparing barrel diameters with my various 20 gauge cartridge guns and those of a 12 gauge ML double owned by a friend, it would seem like you could do it while still leaving enough meat (metal) for safety. Must have something to do with the breech.

As for the GPR and wing shooting, it probably depends upon individual physique and shooting styles. I have played quite a bit with moving targets and my GPR caplock, and it seems to mount quickly and track well. I still agree with the original questions of "why and why not", but so far I haven't sorted the answers to my satisfaction. Probably indicating my shotgunning preferences (or lack of skill), I sure like the doubles. And for shooting PRB's through a smoothbore, I'm back to wondering why convert a GPR when there are so many other great smoothbores around for that action.

For $160, I don't think a drop-in 28g barrel for a Lyman flinter is a crazy idea. In fact, it would probably be pretty nice for flintlock squirrel hunting and a great way to get out in the field with your gun more. It would be a lot more useful to me than half the parts for a custom gun.

Now if you want to shoot doves, I don't think you'd be happy. Considering how heavy a GPR is, you might be able to work up a stout turkey load without crying too much over recoil.

Too bad you can't get a 24g/.58 barrel. I think the problem with the 20g is the barrel thickness at the wedges.

Where I live the bird hunting isn't that great, I just wanted to put together a relatively low cost smoothbore to try out BP smoothbores and see if maybe it's something I want to invest more time and money into in the future. I also have a Trade Rifle which I'm beginning to think may turn out to be a better platform for a smoothbore.
I want the barrel mostly just to shoot for enjoyment, but would most likely hunt with it as well if it proves to hold a reasonably good pattern, and I can work up the right load for it.

I guess my question is; Why would anyone want a smoothbore barrel on a GPR?

Some states only allow a smoothbore only for primitive weapons, plus it add a little more challenge to your hunting...

Also, a smoothbore barrel will allow the one gun owner more versatility in the game he/she hunts...

Lastly, it's fun to shoot a amoothbore...

Lastly, it's fun to shoot a amoothbore...

Thanks musketman, that just about sums it up lol.

River rat,
The T/C 15/16x32 inch barrel in .54 cal smoothbore list for $159.95 on TOTW, and their gunsmiths will modify it to fit a GPR for an additional $75.

I think I am going to go with a barrel for my Renegade, that'll save me the $75 dollar gunsmithing cost and I can get the .62 caliber. It just seems like an all around better deal to me.

The whole point of below is that yes a fella can shoot a smoothbore effectively and that you are not nuts. PS that 20 ga sure is nice if you can get a drop in replacement from Green Mountain give them a call they may be able to help

Yes Yes Yes

One Green Mountain 62. cal smoothbore dropped onto my 54 cal Renegade cost 199 dollars complete from Green Mountain Barrel.

90grns Goex FFFg

Two .62cal (.20ga) Oxyoke wonder wads
1+1/2 oz #6's
One .62cal (.20ga) Oxyoke wonder wads
One CCI magnum #11

Went to pattern the gun and after one shot was headed for the Trap house.

Trap shooting with a cap lock and some of the guys at the club watching. So I have witnesses.

So much for the slow ignition of Tripl7

Can

Hey, thanks for the info, bart. I appreciate your taking the time to share your experience. I've been shooting BP for quite sometime and think I've tried everything but a smoothbore. When I get the barrel in place I'll start with the loads you suggested(minus the percussion caps,of course; they don't go off in my flash pan.)

Again thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Back