• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smoothbore caliber and barrel length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tat

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the middle of building a ML rifle and everytime I get on this smoothbore page it makes me want to build a smoothbore for my next project.

I am interested in the the small caliber smoothbores. On the home page under pictures someone mentions a .25 but it does not say if it is a smoothbore or rifle.What is the smallest caliber smoothbore out there?

I have searched smoothbore barrel length and not located if short or long is better for accuracy.

Thanks

Have heard of .45 smoothbores, think Track has or had one on their site. Haven't seen guns-to-build advertised with bores under 28-bore which is a .54 smoothbore. May be others out there but haven't seen any guns or kits advertised. Sorry.

tat said:
On the home page under pictures someone mentions a .25 but it does not say if it is a smoothbore or rifle.

That is a rifle that Blahman is making for member Olie...

Looking over books on Ky. rifles I see quite a few smoothbores in the .40-.50 caliber range but most are .50 or larger. I wouldn't expect bores smaller than .40 would throw enough shot to be worthwile and even 3/4 oz. in a .40 makes a pretty long shot column which leads to pellet deformation. That's why a modern .410 can't pattern like a 20 or 28 gage.
Over & under type guns often have one barrel smooth and one rifled of the same caliber, most commonly they are in the .40-.45 range but that may be to keep the OD of the barrels slim and weight of the gun within reason. :grin:

In my experience the longer the barrel the better it shoots, both RB groups and shot patterns.

Back