• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore loading technique.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best technique to load a smoothbore, one component at a time pushed to the breech or to pour the powder in and build the rest at the muzzle and then seat it all to once?

I've only loaded by seating each component individually. I've thought about pushing everything down at once, but never tried it. I dont see any benefit, except saving a couple strokes of the ramrod. I also like the "feel" of sending each component down the barrel individually. Maybe I'm just enjoying the loading process too much.

And the "best" way, is probably up to what works "best" for you. That is one of the best parts of muzzleloading for me, taking a little bit of what everyone is doing and see what works for me, then discard the rest. It's all good.

One component at a time. I tried all at once and it just jammed in the barrel a few inches from the muzzle.

Some of the typical overpowder wads fit pretty tightly to have an airtight seal. They can take a bit of pressure to ram. Putting everything in at once would be pretty hard to push and you risk breaking your ramrod or getting the load stuck.

But also, I'd be concerned that you might somehow get the wad cocked at an angle and mess up the whole load.

I have to agree with Linc. When loading a shot load it gets close to impossible to seat a full load, with cards and wads.
Mark

It depends a little on how you define "one component." When I use both a nitro card and cushion wad over the powder, I ram both wads at the same time.

Some people will put a thin card directly on top of the cushion wad to keep the shot from becoming embedded in the cushion wad. They ram all three of the wads in one stroke of the ramrod.

I have had luck with two paper cartridges, one for powder, one for shot. I load powder, paper and shot, paper. This may not be practicle without a cartridge box.

I---

1) Pour powder
2) Place Cork Wad in muzzle and push down with ramrod. Ram Hard.
3) Place paper packet of shot in muzzle and push down with ram rod
4) Place over shot card in muzzle and push down with ramrod. Give it a a few sharp decisive rams to pack it ALL in tightly!

I don't know what's 'best'...but my steps are:

1) Pour powder and bump settle it down into the breech/vent;
2) Start & seat OP wad(s) down on the powder;
3) Pour down the shot charge;
4) Start & seat a pair of OS cards down on the shot charge;

It sounds like I'm the only one that rams the entire load at once. I use flax tow for wadding though, so it's a lot easier than if I were using cards.

I thumb a hunk of tow into the muzzle. If loading shot I push it in far enough for the shot charge. With ball, I just use the ball to push it in farther. Then I thumb another hunk of tow in over the ball or shot and seat it all in one shot.

PLEASE, get the idea of "speed reloading" a ML smooth bore out of your mind. Speed shooting is a modern concept, and has no place in shooting traditional arms. Safety has to take priority.

Now, when you load powder down the barrel, most will simply pour it down the barrel, whether it starts out in a separate volume powder measure, or in a paper "cartridge".

The first- "OVER POWDER"-- wad that goes down the bore HAS A PURPOSE- and that is to seal the bore against the gases that the burning powder will produce when fired. As it goes down the bore, it pushes air in front of it, which, in a properly cleaned gun, will push THRU the powder and out the flash channel to exit the TH in flintlocks, or the nipple in percussion guns. Its important to have removed the fired percussion cap from the nipple, and to leave the hammer on "half-cock" on percussion guns to allow the air to exit thru the nipple.

Now that the OP wad is seated on the powder properly, you can run additional wads or cards down the barrel, but each will be pushing air down the barrel in front of it, unless you do something. That air can not escape through the powder, because of that OP wad.

You have choices.

A. You can just push those subsequent wads down, and let the air break one or more of the edges, to escape past the wad;

DOWNSIDE: Those broken edges will also then let hot gases pass thru if your OP wad fails as a seal. This results in shot flying who-knows-where, rather than a predictable pattern.

B. You can stack wads together at the muzzle, and drive them down with the OP wad, thereby avoiding the problem of trapped air between the OP wad, and cushion wads.

DOWNSIDE: That is a lot of friction to push down the bore at once, and getting those wads stuck part way down the bore is a common event, particularly when loading a dirty bore. Any "speed advantage" to this technique is obviously lost if you have to stop and pull one or more wads from the bore.

C. YOU CAN USE ONLY OS CARDS in your smooth bore, and poke off-center holes in the cards with a sharp nail, or awl, to let the air between the cards escape thru the holes, and not damage the all-important edges of any wad or card. When loading, simply rotate each succeeding card so that the holes in CONSECUTIVE CARDS DO NOT LINE UP WITH EACH OTHER. This keeps any small shot pellets from plugging the holes, or getting thru them.

Iron Jim Rackham, a former member here, used a small ball of wax/oil lube between the 3rd and 4th OS cards he used in lieu of a single OP wad. In seating the OS cards firmly on the powder, this squeezed the ball of lube so that it flattened out between the cards, and then greased the bore as the load was pushed out the barrel when the gun was fired.

DOWNSIDE: You have to carry some container with little balls of lube made up in it, then manage to pick those balls up to drop down between the cards when loading, w/o dropping them on the ground or spilling the contents of your container. AND, HAVING THE LUBE BEHIND THE LOAD OF SHOT does nothing to prevent lead rubbing off on the sides of the bore as the load is fired.

C-1: My solution is to run a greased cleaning patch down the bore before loading the first charge. This protects the bore from leading, and greases the bore so that fouling is soft. It also protects the bore from RUST in the field when you hunt in rain, or mist, or fog.

For 2nd and subsequent shots, I run another greased cleaning patch down the bore after seating the OS card(s) on top of the load of shot.

DOWNSIDE: you do have to carry your pre-greased cleaning patches into the field in something, along with that towel you should always have to clean your hands and ramrod to keep the gun and your clothes clean.

AND, frankly, it took me some time to get comfortable with this "New way " of loading and shooting a shotgun, after years of carrying OP wads, Cushion wads, and OS cards, with the cushion wads pre-lubed with vegetable oil.

But, Iron Jim was right, as its much easier to carry only OS cards in one pocket, and my greased cleaning patches in a plastic baggie in another pocket. I load 3 OS cards down the bore instead of 1 1/8" thick OP wad. Then the load of shot, and 2 OS cards for my DBL. s x s 12. ga. shotgun. In my 19 ga. fowling piece, I use only 1 OS card over the shot to hold the load of shot in the barrel.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision that produces predictably good patterns from your guns. :hatsoff:

I just was thinking that if you could ram it all down at once the air would escape thru the touch hole and eliminate the need for poking holes in the os cards.

Latest posts

Back