• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbores, 12ga. vs. 20 ga. ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love smoothbore muzzle loaders, over the years I've owned about a dozen flintlock smoothbore fowlers, one percussion TC .56 SB, and one original 15 ga. English sporting side x side shotgun, one of my Fowlers a custom New England Colonial Fowler was a 12 ga., all my others were in 20 ga.
I loved the NE Colonial 12 ga. Fowler for it's light weight and comfortable fit, but I wasn't a fan of the cost of shooting it, it took allot more powder, shot, and the .72 cal. balls weren't cheap either, admittedly, I didn't give myself a chance to like it, I only shot it a few times in the decade that I owned it, most of my smoothbore shooting was done with my .20 ga. fusils and Trade guns.
Lately I've been thinking I may have made an error in judgement by trading it away.
I'd like to hear from some of you shooters that prefer 12 ga. fowlers over 20 ga., what if any are the advantages of the 12 ga. over the 20 ga. in a muzzle loading fowler ?

I really can’t comment on a 12 gauge smooth bore vrs a 20 gauge. But I do own a custom New England Fowler in 10 gauge. I don’t hunt anymore but I do enjoy shooting in my home range. That .740 rb really packs a punch. I am getting over some heart surgery and my chest rib cage is still healing so shooting long guns are of the question for now. Using large bore fowling guns are definitely an advantage especially when using shot. They are not the most economical gauges to shoot but the thrill I get from shooting them is well worth it. I use to own a 20 gauge Fowler, but I traded it away and had 28 gauge smooth rifle built. That gun shoots like a rifle with a .520 patched rb. When I shoot in smooth bore matches mostly against 20 gauge smooth bores, I feel like I am cheering because that small 28 gauge is so accurate.

I love smoothbore muzzle loaders, over the years I've owned about a dozen flintlock smoothbore fowlers, one percussion TC .56 SB, and one original 15 ga. English sporting side x side shotgun, one of my Fowlers a custom New England Colonial Fowler was a 12 ga., all my others were in 20 ga.
I loved the NE Colonial 12 ga. Fowler for it's light weight and comfortable fit, but I wasn't a fan of the cost of shooting it, it took allot more powder, shot, and the .72 cal. balls weren't cheap either, admittedly, I didn't give myself a chance to like it, I only shot it a few times in the decade that I owned it, most of my smoothbore shooting was done with my .20 ga. fusils and Trade guns.
Lately I've been thinking I may have made an error in judgement by trading it away.
I'd like to hear from some of you shooters that prefer 12 ga. fowlers over 20 ga., what if any are the advantages of the 12 ga. over the 20 ga. in a muzzle loading fowler ?

Referencing Cylinder Bore Barrels:

I'd say that 10-12 bore has an advantage when going after water fowl, especially geese, and if one is foolhardy enough, to go after Brown Bears with solid ball. Now it's true a lot of guys these days put a really heavy load into a 20 gauge and proclaim it's doing the same thing that the 10-12 bore, but when shooting birds on the wing, the larger diameter shot column does have some advantages.

16-20 bore, the majority 20 bore, were well known to be popular for Big Game up to Moose, in Canada. It also does well on everything else, and can get you ducks and geese, even though perhaps not ideal. My 20 cylinder bore does quite well providing I get the game up close.

With the use of the famous Skychief type of load, the only way that one is outdone by a rifle is at longer ranges, for the most part.

LD

For roundball 20 gauge is the way to go. For shoot buck and ball or shot I still prefer the 20 gauge. For turkeys I also prefer the 20 gauge but then again I get them close a 1.5 oz load of lead is just plan deadly in any smooth bore at the right distance. 20 gauge is lighter too. My fav is the 20 with 36" barrel nice and light and perfect balance and swings quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_5404.jpeg
    IMG_5404.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5400.jpeg
    IMG_5400.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5399.jpeg
    IMG_5399.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I had a nice dbl barrel 12 ga. percussion smoothbore for years and I had more fun shooting it than should be legal. I just never hunted with it more than a couple of times. My smoothbore for the past 15+ years is a 20 ga flintlock with a rear sight. This gun has hunted with me. It's easier to feed, of course, than a 12 ga. and the gun's performance leaves absolutely nothing to be desired. Patched round ball groups at 50 yards consistently stay under 3".

I no longer hunt having stored away my camo over 6 years ago. And there is nothing wrong with prb loads, or even bare ball, when it comes to deer hunting. That .600" patched ball hits like the hammer of Thor. The sights work just as well for shot as they do for prb.

The 20 ga. is my favorite and I've owned more 20 ga. unmentionables than any other gauge.
PICT0586-2.jpg

I had a nice dbl barrel 12 ga. percussion smoothbore for years and I had more fun shooting it than should be legal. I just never hunted with it more than a couple of times. My smoothbore for the past 15+ years is a 20 ga flintlock with a rear sight. This gun has hunted with me. It's easier to feed, of course, than a 12 ga. and the gun's performance leaves absolutely nothing to be desired. Patched round ball groups at 50 yards consistently stay under 3".

I no longer hunt having stored away my camo over 6 years ago. And there is nothing wrong with prb loads, or even bare ball, when it comes to deer hunting. That .600" patched ball hits like the hammer of Thor. The sights work just as well for shot as they do for prb.

The 20 ga. is my favorite and I've owned more 20 ga. unmentionables than any other gauge.
PICT0586-2.jpg
Thanks for the comments my friend, I'm a life long shooter and hunter, most of my long gun shooting has been with shotguns, Trap, Skeet, and Inglish sporting clays competitively.
My shotgun of choice for most of those years was the 12 ga., how ever I have owned some very sweet 20 ga. guns as well, like you I don't hunt much anymore, when I do my companion is usually my SKB made Ithica model 100 side x side, when hunting with muzzle loaders my favorite was an original London made 15 ga. percussion sporting shotgun made around 1850, a beautiful bird gun.
Today my two Centermaark Fusil de Chasse are my go to front stuffers, easy to carry, point like a dream, and accurate to a fault, but somewhere in the recesses of my thought I'd still like to get back my custom New England 12 ga. fowler.

I certainly prefer the 20/ga. but I'm hardly an expert on the 12 ga. I see no advantage to the 12 at all . Round ball is rediculous , the 20 ga. ball will take down anything up to a buffalo and less lead and recoil and you can put an ounce and half of shot in a 12 or a 20 gauge Muzzleloader ...doesnt matter which one you have . Even 24 ga. is d@mn good too but I prefer the 20 .

Last edited:
I certainly prefer the 20/ga. but I'm hardly an expert on the 12 ga. I see know advantage to the 12 at all . Round ball is rediculous , the 20 ga. ball will take down anything up to a buffalo and less lead and recoil and you can put an ounce and half of shot in a 12 or a 20 gauge Muzzleloader ...doesnt matter which one you have . Even 24 ga. is d@mn too but I prefer the 20 .
I’d say it all depends on what your gonna use it for .

I have used a 28 bore flint fowler. It is fun to use. A 15 ga. sxs percussion is good on clays. I like 12 ga. sxs originals that do well with clays. As for one being better than the other - it depends on what one is comfortable with.

Latest posts

Back