• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snaphaunce Lock problems??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooooo, I finally remembered to measure the bore and it came in at .548…. I have a bunch of patching material that mikes out at 20 thousands…. Common.54 cal round balls do seem to fit this combination… any suggestions on what to do? Retirement means frugal is good…

Sooooo, I finally remembered to measure the bore and it came in at .548…. I have a bunch of patching material that mikes out at 20 thousands…. Common.54 cal round balls do seem to fit this combination… any suggestions on what to do? Retirement means frugal is good…
Hi Doc

The "standard" for a ball size for a smooth bore is about 2-3 calibers smaller than the nominal bore size of .548 So, you could order ,520 balls from Track of the Wolf to try out. Or, maybe the .515 with your 20 thousands patching. The .526 would likely work well with 10-thousandths patching. Nice you have that bore size. Gives you 2-3 options.

Rick

Is it a smoothbore? It should be but has been described as a rifle and by the auctioneer as having a shiny rifled bore (the OP outbid me, so I've been curious about the gun and his experience with it).

The "Anderson" who built the snaphaunce in the original post was from Texas. He worked on the movie sets of the original "Alamo" with John Wayne. He took care of the cannons.
I am trying to get more information so you can document your snaphaunce.
He also made this wheellock and it is currently for sale. Massive piece!
20240809_171303.jpg

20240809_171341.jpg

20240809_171258.jpg

20240809_171404.jpg

Contact me for contact info of the seller. I did not ask the price and did not take any full images. My apologies.

William

Attachments

• 20240809_171258.jpg
    20240809_171258.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Back