• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So how much for a lower end rifle, and what make would one be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I hear a lot about lower priced flintlocks”¦ so, what is a lower cost Flint? Is a T/C one as they are some $500? I always thought a lot of the T/C. I see other guns on Track of the wolf for $1000, $4500, $9000 and up. Are these guns all that better than one that cost $300-$300? What about the ones made in Spain (CVA?), Others from Dixie”¦?

I ask as I really don’t know”¦ I am looking at spending $800 - $1000 for a kit, and may even buy a complete gun for $2500. To me that is not a low cost”¦

There are tons of people here that know a lot on this topic”¦ any help for those of us that are trying to decide what gun is best for us? I sure don’t want a gun that does not trow a good spark ( good thread, very interesting)”¦

Curious what makers you guys would consider the lower end, and what are considered the upper end???

Captdan

It's pretty hard to find anything worth having for under $700.00.

If being authentic isn't important, the Lyman Great Plains Rifle isn't too bad. There are a few reasonably priced muskets that aren't too bad. A good rifle usually runs about $1200.00. A very good gun can be had for perhaps $1500.00. I've been very fortunate to get some real nice ones for about $700.00. A Jim Chamber's Lock and a Rice or Colerain barrel is a good starting point. If you have the skills, a Jim Chamber's kit is the way to go. For a smoothbore a Getz barrel would be ok.

A Lyman GPR in kit form can be made into a very fine shooter and also can be a fine looking rifle with the metal browned, and several hand rubbed oils to the stock.
Scrap the sights and install sights from Track of the Wolf. All for under $300. Not Bad!
Best Regards
Old Ford

There are many factors that determine the price of a rifle , figure of curl in the stock, locks, barrels, amount of carving , embellishment on the rifle the maker etc.
My first flint rifle was a Pedorsoli"Pennsylvania" style in .45 cal.Although not a "bad rifle"I feel I would have been money ahead by spending more initially and getting a really good rifle. I currently own an Isach Haines rifle by Golden Age arms.50 cal. 38" swamped barrel, beautiful maple stock, curl forever etc. a southern mountain rifle by Pecatonica arms, a type D fusil, and a canoe gun by Jackie Brown.Theas pieces are well worth the extra money invested, heirlooms to be passed down for generations, if properly cared for.
That being said, T.O.T.W. has some decent buys on "working rifles" plain with no carving or fancy inlays. in the $700.00-$1000.00 range. T.V.M.also makes relitivly inexpensive rifles, using good , quality components, green mountain barrels, L&R or Siler Locks etc
If it were me , I would spend the money up front and buy a truely authentic, quality made, semi custom rifle. J.M.H.O.

I havnt been in the flintlock game very long,my first flint was built locally by a guy who said it was a kentuky.It can best be described as a common barn gun.It werent fancy at all but it did go off quick and i had no problems.It had a good quality lock and the vent was located right.
I sold this gun to help pay some medical bills figuaring maybe some day i would get a nicer looken one.
Well i came home from work one day and there was a traditions shennedoa lying on the table.She only paid 200 for it and it seemed in good shape.So after fiddling around with it over the last 2 monmths i have got it so it goes off just as good as the other gun.Do i like it,heck no but im stuck with it right now :haha:
Most semi custom guns and custom builders are going to use good locks to start with and they are going to put the touch holes at the right height.Them are the 2 most important factors when it comes to ignition,and then just how you load it your self can determine the ignition speed.
You hear of a lot of problems with the spainish and some italian guns that are factory made.You dont hear about too many problems with the TC guns.I would make sure of where the vent is located in relation ship to the pan.I know where there is a new one sitting on a gun rack that the vent is located too low and to the rear of the pan.So they arnt perfect either when it comes to quality control and letting guns get out their factory door.
If you just wanted a gun for hunting only the TC with all the available barrels ready to drop in would be a good choice,but them barrel run around 160 bucks each.If you end up buying 2 or 3 barrels you will soon have the price of a semi custom gun like a TVM.If you bought the semi custom gun in a smooth bore you wouldnt need any other barrels.You know you would be getting a good quality lock with the touch hole in the correct place.
I want a fullstock smooth bore someday in flint.To me it would be the all around frontstuffer that would keep me happy the rest of my days :haha:

Early Rustic Arms and TVM both have good guns in the $750-$850 range. I'd say the major thing would be the lock. Even a cheap CVA would shoot ok if you put a good L&R replacement lock on it. Touch hole position is also important. Other then that it all adds up to quality of fit and finish, wood quality and "extras" like patch box, nose cap, ect. I've always like the Poorboy style rifles because I figure if you put the money where it'll do the most good(barrel, lock, fit and finish) and don't waste money on fancy stuff you'll be miles ahead. You can pick up a decent T/C Renegade for about $350 in flint if you look around. You won't have all the brass and such to worry about like you would with one of their Hawken guns.

I'd recommend getting a kit gun... that's what I did, and I built an American Fowler with m3 grade maple for about $700 and two months of labor. My first flintlock was a Pedersoli Kentucky, and I don't recommend them if you are into the historical accuracy elements of this hobby. If you have the time, a good kit from Pecatonica or TOW would be a great idea in my opinion. :v

My vote goes for the TVM pieces, have seen a few, and for the price of a kit (component parts set with mucho trabajo remaining to be done) from others, one can get a very good finished and ready to shoot gun from TVM.

One thing TC has going like no others, is their iron clad, written in stone, life time warranty. If one don't goof around modifying and screw it up, they will repair or replace, period.

For $1000 or under, you can get virtually any kit from TOW, Pecatonica, TVA and other sources. For the same $, you can get a completed rifle or in the white rifle from TVA and I'm sure, other sources. For completed, finished rifles from Caywood, Northstar West and other similar sources, you can pay $1200 and up.

I do have a custom builder about 2 1/2 hours from me that will blow the socks off most others I have seen, in both price and craftsmanship. Drop me a PM or e-mail and I can relay his name and contact info to you.

For your first flint, I'd recommend a T/C Renegade or Hawken. You can pick one up for 2-3 hundred dollars used. I bought a Hawken a couple of years ago, my first flint. While I was hooked on the flintlock from the start, I find I am MUCH more comfortable and competent with it now. I have far fewer ignition failures. It will shoot much better than I can hold. You don't say what you want the gun for. If you want it just to shoot, plink and hunt with, T/C will do you just fine. Despite lots of shooting and hunting with the T/C, I'm still not sure what I want that I would spend one or two grand on. Serious reenacting calls for one type of gun, bird and rabbit hunting another, and deer hunting still another. I've been a moderately serious hunter and shooter all my life, but of late I find I'm using the Hawken for almost everything but grouse. graybeard

I bought a Traditions Kentucky kit a few years back for $180. The wood is very plain so it's not real purrdy.

The original lock wasn't timed right so they sent me a replacement which was a much nicer lock than came with the kit. I have had very good success with this lock, almost never fails to flash the pan, generally my missfires are from a dirty path to the main charge. I've been shooting with percussion guys who have more missfires than I do. :grin: The barrel also has a Patent breach.

Someday I'll get me a real nice looking gun but for now I can have a lot of fun on the cheap. :grin:

Just looked at the TVM websight! Am I to understand that those guns are complete and ready? Heck for those prices not a bad deal. So, are these considered high quality? Sure look nice!

Does anyone know of a manf that makes a Baker Rifle? I started getting interested in black powder due to a desire to own a Baker. Contacted the Rifle Shoppe, but not low cost, kit form, and many say they take a long long time to supply the parts...

You guys have been a really great source of info! Thanks, I've been shooting for some 40 plus years and I now have a complete new world opening up for me.

Captdan

"So, are these considered high quality?"

I would say they are inexpensive, good quality firearms. I have a Leman on order from them.

High quality is usually pretty expensive.

captdan said:
I hear a lot about lower priced flintlocks”¦ so, what is a lower cost Flint? Is a T/C one as they are some $500? I always thought a lot of the T/C. I see other guns on Track of the wolf for $1000, $4500, $9000 and up. Are these guns all that better than one that cost $300-$300? What about the ones made in Spain (CVA?), Others from Dixie”¦?

I ask as I really don’t know”¦ I am looking at spending $800 - $1000 for a kit, and may even buy a complete gun for $2500. To me that is not a low cost”¦

There are tons of people here that know a lot on this topic”¦ any help for those of us that are trying to decide what gun is best for us? I sure don’t want a gun that does not trow a good spark ( good thread, very interesting)”¦

Curious what makers you guys would consider the lower end, and what are considered the upper end???

Captdan

Unless you are going custom or semi-custom there are several very accurate "off the rack" top competitors available for under $500.Two of the most popular are the Traditions and Lyman offerings. These rifles are seen quite often in competition here in Pa. and will more than hold their own with any custom on the line, as opposed to T/C which are very seldom seen in competition unless they have been re-barreled or re-rifled. The waranty on these rifles is top shelf and the same as T/C's lifetime waranty (just not bragged about so much).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

TVM builds a good gun of good components. Fit is not flawless but not sloppy either. I think they are a very good value for the bucks. One thing you need to be aware of however is that it will be about a year between ordering and recieving your rifle. You might give them a call, sometimes they may have built something for someone who for whatever reason didn't take the gun when it was finished. Since that person paid a deposit on the gun, they can give you a discount and ship it right away. JUst ask what they have in the way of finished guns or guns "in the white".

I think it only takes a yr.,from TVM ,when you order a rifle to your specs. They go to a lot of rondevouxs and always have a large number of guns for sale there so I know they make up a lot of guns other than special orders. At Fort Bridger (Labor day) they'll have 20 to 30 rifles, smoothbores, shotguns, pistols, whatever you want.
I have 2 of their's. One flinter and one perc.
Both excellent rifles.

Deadeye said:
I think it only takes a yr.,from TVM ,when you order a rifle to your specs. They go to a lot of rondevouxs and always have a large number of guns for sale there so I know they make up a lot of guns other than special orders. At Fort Bridger (Labor day) they'll have 20 to 30 rifles, smoothbores, shotguns, pistols, whatever you want.
I have 2 of their's. One flinter and one perc.
Both excellent rifles.
I reckon so. Can't afford a new gun but I do hope to get to Ft. Bridger Labor Day.

captdan said:
What about the ones made in Spain (CVA?),

There's folks on here that will tell you that all CVA's are little better than fence posts, and real men buy custom rifles only. If your goal is a fine rifle that is absolutely PC, than yep, the custom rifle is certainly the way to go.
However.
The CVA lock leaves something to be desired, but what that is, mostly, is final fitting and some other details. CVA flinters can be fine shooting weapons if you spend some time with them. Disassemble the lock, and polish all the components carefully (so as not to make it unsafem you understand). A good polishing, and maybe harding the facr of the firzzen will produce a decent shooter 9 times out of 10. No, it wont be PC, but most CVA flinters can be grabbed used for $150 or less normally. It's a good way to get a real education into how a flintlock works and can be a good value if you like to tinker.

Latest posts

Back