• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So Much for Early ML Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Was out on Thursday, and saw deer at a distance but they didn't want to cooperate and come close enough for a shot.

I was set to go back out today and the last day, tomorrow, but WHAM a storm like a Nor'easter wandered in, and in addition to the rain we're getting up to 60 mph wind gusts. I know where the deer hole-up in these events, but I don't have permission to go there and wait to see if any come out. It's a very thick pine grove...,
Storm will continue through Saturday. 😟

I guess I will brew some beer for Thanksgiving and Christmas, instead, tomorrow. 🍺🦃🎄

LD

Dave, you didn't mention if you tried any calling to entice the deer in that were out of range.

I mention that because decades ago I used to consume every bit of calling information I could get by Jerry Peterson, founder of Woods Wise deer calls. Jerry focused a lot on social deer calling using various doe communications, which are not threatening like buck grunting or rattling. Of all the various "tricks" that are written about or promulgated by the "experts," I found Jerry's deer calling advice the very best and most effective I've personally ever used. It's the only techniques I've used where I have actually had deer literally run to me from over 100 yards away. Now...like anything else, it does not work every time. But I will also say that I have never spooked deer, that I could see anyway, using social calling techniques (various contact bleats and grunts or "in heat" calls for rut). I can't say that with rattling or aggressive buck grunting techniques. Sometimes they will hear and acknowledge by a tail wag, or you'll see their ears direct toward your calling, but they don't come in. But many times, they will.

Here's a quick video that let's one hear just some of the social calling by Jerry. It's with a rifle, but he never shoots the deer even though it comes to within 15 feet of him dressed in blaze orange. He has two calls hanging on his neck...the one with two grey cartridges on the ends was his basic call that could make several different doe sounds as well as buck grunts. I don't think they are available anymore, but I still use mine from decades ago. Actually, you can make a number of these sounds without a call and I have successfully done so on numerous deer.

Dave, you didn't mention if you tried any calling to entice the deer in that were out of range.

I mention that because decades ago I used to consume every bit of calling information I could get by Jerry Peterson, founder of Woods Wise deer calls. Jerry focused a lot on social deer calling using various doe communications, which are not threatening like buck grunting or rattling. Of all the various "tricks" that are written about or promulgated by the "experts," I found Jerry's deer calling advice the very best and most effective I've personally ever used. It's the only techniques I've used where I have actually had deer literally run to me from over 100 yards away. Now...like anything else, it does not work every time. But I will also say that I have never spooked deer, that I could see anyway, using social calling techniques (various contact bleats and grunts or "in heat" calls for rut). I can't say that with rattling or aggressive buck grunting techniques. Sometimes they will hear and acknowledge by a tail wag, or you'll see their ears direct toward your calling, but they don't come in. But many times, they will.

Here's a quick video that let's one hear just some of the social calling by Jerry. It's with a rifle, but he never shoots the deer even though it comes to within 15 feet of him dressed in blaze orange. He has two calls hanging on his neck...the one with two grey cartridges on the ends was his basic call that could make several different doe sounds as well as buck grunts. I don't think they are available anymore, but I still use mine from decades ago. Actually, you can make a number of these sounds without a call and I have successfully done so on numerous deer.
Link to the video is missing.

Was out on Thursday, and saw deer at a distance but they didn't want to cooperate and come close enough for a shot.

I was set to go back out today and the last day, tomorrow, but WHAM a storm like a Nor'easter wandered in, and in addition to the rain we're getting up to 60 mph wind gusts. I know where the deer hole-up in these events, but I don't have permission to go there and wait to see if any come out. It's a very thick pine grove...,
Storm will continue through Saturday. 😟

I guess I will brew some beer for Thanksgiving and Christmas, instead, tomorrow. 🍺🦃🎄

LD
Rain and weird weather has been an issue here as well. Luckily it is still archery season here, and it doesn't really end until Dec. 31st although once gun seasons begin archery hunting gets restricted to certain properties,,, talking state land. Unfortunately we don't get an early muzzleloading season.

Beer sounds good. What style will you be making this year?

in addition to the rain we're getting up to 60 mph wind gusts. I know where the deer hole-up in these events, but I don't have permission to go there and wait to see if any come out.

LD

When i was a teenager, we used to wait for that kind of weather to hit those kind of places...😉.

These days, I'm above well above that, but there was a time...

I have brewed a few kit batches myself. Nothing sophisticated

Beer sounds good. What style will you be making this year?
I did some cream ale, and have hard cider to bottle for my non-gluten friends, and I'm trying a simple Belgian Ale tomorrow (it was in inexpensive kit) ...
for after the hunt is done and the equipment and guns are put away.

I don't want to digress off of hunting with muzzleloaders, but not much else to say about the beer... i I like simple recipes too ....

LD

When high winds come in deer often stand in the lee side of trees. They tend not to move
much as their main defenses :hearing and smell are compromised. Not to say that calling
would not work in good weather, but in bad weather deer draw in and rely upon eyesight-
and they are reluctant to bed until weather abates. You can try ,but calling, like rattling and
scent trails are best in good weather without the high gusts.

Link to the video is missing.

Sorry about that. The sound Jerry is using here is one a doe in heat will make. Most doe talk is quite subtle...not loud or aggressive at all. Even so deer can lock in on the exact location very quickly.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but doe talk is something that works but seems rarely practiced and has helped me close a season many times with a filled tag.

Good point, Spikebuck. Years ago tried the buck grunts and such but with not success to recall. Once afternoon while hiking in Central Pennsylvania, sat under a tree to contemplate life's turns and noticed a line of does walking along the mountain about 100 yards above my spot. Cupping my hands over my mouth, pinching the nostrils of my nose I started bleating as if a young fawn was looking for mamma. This pulled those deed down the mountain to circle within 10 yards of my position. Later that fall, I used this same sound to blind call an area. A few minutes later out of the corner of my eye 2 does were standing to my left with in 3 steps, looking out over the small opening they thought the sound emitted from. Yes, calling deer does work.

and have hard cider to bottle for my non-gluten friends
Still cider or sparkling cider? I'm a huge fan of sparkling. My 3 year old vintage would blow the corks if not for the wire baskets.
Made with champagne yeast it bubbles the same when served up in a flute.
At 11% it keeps very well.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but doe talk is something that works but seems rarely practiced and has helped me close a season many times with a filled tag.
Years ago tried the buck grunts and such but with not success to recall. Once afternoon while hiking in Central Pennsylvania, sat under a tree to contemplate life's turns and noticed a line of does walking along the mountain about 100 yards above my spot. Cupping my hands over my mouth, pinching the nostrils of my nose I started bleating as if a young fawn was looking for mamma. This pulled those deed down the mountain to circle within 10 yards of my position. Later that fall, I used this same sound to blind call an area. A few minutes later out of the corner of my eye 2 does were standing to my left with in 3 steps, looking out over the small opening they thought the sound emitted from. Yes, calling deer does work.
I wouldn't think this is hijacking of a thread..., it offers a solution to a weather problem which was what I was contending... ;)

Hmm..., I've rattled but I've never heard of mimic of a fawn in distress. I shall have to try that. Part of my situation is that I'm on a hobby farm. The landowner raises wine grapes and heirloom fruits for fun. He has some odd apples and peaches and Damson plumbs. He's a big I.T. guy as his day job. The farm has horse boarding businesses on the West and Eastern borders, as well as a tree farm for Christmas trees to the East. The deer will huddle inside the Christmas trees at more than 100 yards from the property line. OH and that landowner baits Geese, so he's not real fond of letting me or any other LEO onto his property. The only deer I ever "lost" actually bolted onto his property. He said he'd "take care of it" but wouldn't let me have it. (Heck he might also be growing Marijuana for all I know 😶 )

So the bleating is a very interesting suggestion. Thanks guys.

Still cider or sparkling cider? I'm a huge fan of sparkling. My 3 year old vintage would blow the corks if not for the wire baskets.
Made with champagne yeast it bubbles the same when served up in a flute. At 11% it keeps very well.

Naw this is just carbonated and similar to something like Woodchuck hard cider. It's only 4.5% ABV. I have enough friends with wheat issues that I wanted to have something that doesn't have gluten within it, and was going to try a Sorghum based beer, when it dawned on me that instead of dropping the coins for an experimental brew..., hard cider has no gluten and I already know that it tastes good. So I did that instead.

LD

this is just carbonated and similar to something like Woodchuck hard cider. It's only 4.5% ABV. I have enough friends with wheat issues that I wanted to have something that doesn't have gluten within it, and was going to try a Sorghum based beer, when it dawned on me that instead of dropping the coins for an experimental brew..., hard cider has no gluten and I already know that it tastes good
Thank you.
While I do drink some beer, (I know I shouldnt) especially this time of year as I love a good Oktoberfest. Also, beer in moderation doesn't seem to bother me as much as regular consumption of wheat or grain products.
But, I've come to love a good hard cider, maybe it's the New England Berkshires Yankee half of my bloodline.
I especially like a tart unfiltered cider. For commercial cider my favorite is Down East double brew.

Let me know when the cider is ready and I'll bring down some of those mashed potato based donuts I've posted about and some extra sharp cheddar cheese. We can drink some toasts to Zonie and others. Lol.

Back