• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Solder Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland Roamer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm doing my first fowler build and it's time to solder the underlugs on the round part of the barrel. What kind of solder do I need for this?

Alan

I just went to lowes and bought one of the little soldering kits in the plumbing section. It had the flux, solder, and torch all in one pack. I had alittle slop in mine so I had to do some filing after soldring mine on. However I think it was the first time I soldered anything since metal shop in 7th grade :grin: . I thought of trying some of the paste solder next time to see if I can use it alittle cleaner next time.

Woodland Roamer said:
Hey everyone, I'm doing my first fowler build and it's time to solder the underlugs on the round part of the barrel. What kind of solder do I need for this?

Alan
StarBright silver bearing solder & a paste flux. Be sure to tin it first. Brownells has some also. I just can't remember what it is called.

To start, The lug is rubbed along a sheet of 220 grit paper that's held on the area of the bbl that the lug will be attached and to eliminate a gross mismatch of the lug vs bbl dia and to "clean" the lug surface. Hold the lug on the sandpapered area of the bbl and pencil the outline and lightly apply Swif 95 or other solder paste w/in the penciled area and on the lug. Lightly clamp the lug onto the bbl and heat until the solder flows...don't over heat and concentrate the torch flame mainly on the bbl but also on the lug.....Fred

Don't use plumbing or electrical solder from your local hardware store. You must use silver solder. My source offers it in three hardness levels. Use the high heat solder.

Staybright would be my first choice, but originals were done with simple lead solder. If you're talking silver braze, that is totally unnecessary, and not very good for the barrel.

I only have soldered one barrel for underlugs with lead/tin solder. I had to redo it three times the soldered joints kept failing every 100 to 300 rounds. Now I either use silver solder, or my prefered method of dovetailing. I have found that on thin barrels you can get by nicely with a combination of a very shallow dovetail and soldering.

Latest posts

Back