• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some problems with the ROA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I decided to kill two birds with one stone. This afternoon I went to the range and cut some walking sticks. Then I went and shot the Ruger Old Army.

I found out that the front sight will need to be replaced. I am shooting some Buffalo Bullet conicals with a max charge of H777 and they are hitting a few inches high on the target. I have the rear sight cranked all the way down. I have a taller front sight from a 44 magnum that will be pinned in it's place.

So I now have cleaned the gun and have it in my oven to dry off. After lubing it up, I will knock the original front blade out for the taller one.

Maybe you should file it down before replacement, go easy and get it set for say, 25 paces? should be fine. :hmm:

Blizzard of '93 said:
Maybe you should file it down before replacement, go easy and get it set for say, 25 paces? should be fine. :hmm:

Filing it down will move the point of impact even higher - a taller front sight is needed since the rear adjustable is at it's bottom.

Not sure what yardage is being shot at, but a few inches high isn't that bad - esecially if this is on the outside of the performance range of the pistol.... IMHO

Then again, :hmm: you could try to get some black powder, or some Pyrodex, or reduce the load just a bit. All of these things should lower the point of impact without doing any rework at all. :hmm:

zonie :)

I could reduce the power of the load but I don't want to. I want to be able to use max loads and shoot point of aim with the sights.

try different brands of black powder before you change the front sight.

also try different size of round ball.
i use .454 round ball in my ruger old army with hodgdon 777 2f 30 grains and it hits poa every time.

if you are using 3f try some 2f.
also i would use mabey 5 grains less just to see if that changes anything.
I know you said you want to use max loads but it doesen't hurt to experiment with different loadings. if nothing else it just means more time on the range shooting :thumbsup:

There is a general rule, that with the same bullet, the slower velocity will "generally" strike higher on the target at normal ranges. The faster bullet will strike lower. It has to do with the time the bullet is traveling down the bore while the weapon has begun its recoil. The 777 loads being the fastest, should strike lower than any other load regardless of the type of powder. One can reduce the bullet strike by shooting the same bullet faster, or shooting a lighter bullet to the same, or a faster velocity.

Dan

I believe that Hamilton Bowen makes a replacement/upgrade rear sight for Ruger revolvers, albeit a pricey one. You might give him a call and see if it would work on an OA frame (I don't see why it wouldn't) and if it has more adjustment than the factory sight.

Back