• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some ratting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Local farm yard is infested with rats, not having a 410 any more left me with only one other option....the versatile muzzleloader!
I loaded the .58" with just 9/16oz of shot on a few OS cards.
Worked a treat taking rats to 25yds or so.

Poor picture sorry.

Taken 14 so far. It is a fiddle loading in the dark and an assistant with the flash light would be better etc. Making a few cartridges would help a lot with the loading!

Brits :thumbsup:

Take good measurements. The NMLRA Longhunter Society may be receptive to a new species in it's listings.

Get yourself one a those battery lights on a headband, we use 'em to lay out dekes before full dawn...Tom

You don't have a suitably hungry cat or a terrier???
(Fwiw, our old "Satin" kept the barn/corn-crib pretty well "rodent free" and was often seen napping in the sun, looking quite well-fed & pleased with himself.)

yours, satx

Rat stew is especially good and the tails are a gourmet's delight. That's what I've heard.....no first hand knowledge. But protein is protein irrespective of the source? The Chinese are a very wise people...do they know something that we don't? Besides....on the long ocean voyages years ago aboard sailing ships, what do you think was the main course?

A close cousin of the rat is their aquatic relative the muskrat. Muskrat carcasses after skinning were shipped to New York from Minnesota and were served in the best of restaurants.....many people ordered the gourmet delight "Midwestern Swamp Rabbit" and raved about it.....Fred

I have eaten beaver loins. It's amazing that a 50 lb. animal could have backstraps that small. It tasted exactly like deer.

In Central America they have a large rodent with stripes called a "paca". They are reputed to be a gourmet's delight.

Not quite sure of the scale, but I'd say that's a big rat! I have pet rats from time to time and even the well-tended domestic rats I've had weren't that big, and that's a lot bigger than the wild rats I see around here. :hatsoff:

Squirrel Tail said:
Not quite sure of the scale, but I'd say that's a big rat! I have pet rats from time to time and even the well-tended domestic rats I've had weren't that big, and that's a lot bigger than the wild rats I see around here. :hatsoff:

Don't be fooled by the camera lens Sir, the rat is closest to the lens!

B :thumbsup:

Brits: Now that sounds like fun! When I was a kid we used to go to the local dump and plink rats with the .22. Great fun and practice for squirrel hunting!

Fred: I've trapped a lot of muskrats and I'd say that's one animal I'd probably have to be on my death bed from starvation before I'd eat. The meat stinks, and if you've ever gotten one with those large boils on them and it pops while skinning....oh man...I can handle some pretty rancid smells, but that's one of the worst gagging smells ever! Nope...can't see eating muskrats. :td: :nono: :barf:

Now you done went and spoiled my appetite.

Caught a lot of 'rats running 2 traplines in the St. Louis River.....also some mink and beaver sets. Trapped from 1944-1948.

I just heard that muskrat carcasses were shipped to New York....personally, never ate one.....Fred

Latest posts

Back