• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some ratting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at the rat size based on the hands & that's a big rat IMHO.
My son would spend all day in the barn with a pellet gun tagging mice :) He would be so envious. Me I'm just happy we don't have those things in my yard :barf:

Muskrat eats well, if young, fresh, and you take the musk glands off. Also seems better in early fall or spring (guessing it is food they eat at those times).

Muskrat can be a fine emergency food, a victor #1 in a bit of swampy creek can feed a man. For :idunno: weeks maybe.

In a pinch you can (I have)Find a Muskrat working down a creek (they tend to feed right at waters edge. Nose to the land searching each little nook.) Go down streem, stand in the creek with your feet about 2 1/2-3 feet from shore, leaning one hand on shore & don't move. many times the Muskrat will not see you and feed right under you. Grab his tail with your free hand & swing him hard to hit his head on shore. ***move fast they bit like heck*** also if the water is cold Do Not try alone, I did this in spring runoff and had to be pulled out. My legs were to cold too move my knees. :shocked2:

Well, I've eaten quite a few muskrats. When I lived on the Churchill River the locals ate them during spring rat season. Meat is dark, rich and quite good!

Back