• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

some whitworth shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, David, it's a great idea.
The inside of a paper patch mold having less than a fine smooth finish gives the paper ever so slightly a better grip of the exterior of the casting. It does not interfere with the paper falling away. Not like patching a lube grooved bullet but rather just not smooth.

Researching bullets used in the Whitworth rifles, came across a relic bullet description stating it was about 1.4" long. Nice looking bullet.

No, David, it's a great idea.
The inside of a paper patch mold having less than a fine smooth finish gives the paper ever so slightly a better grip of the exterior of the casting. It does not interfere with the paper falling away. Not like patching a lube grooved bullet but rather just not smooth.
I’ve always used smooth bullets for paper patching. (Also loaded paper patched grease groove bullets as well) Not sure if there’s an advantage to the grip you’re talking about in muzzleloaded bullets. Maybe for BPCR? Or maybe you’re sizing your bullets significantly under bore size? I size .001” under bore size for target shooting.

I try to stay with .001 under bore when sizing but prefer to arrange things so I can get by without sizing.
But that said, some paper will spring back a bit before I get to the range and make them no longer .001 under bore.

By the way, recently picked up a RCBS 45-500 hollow base paper patch mold that throws a 1.4" long bullet. It's slick smooth for sure. But it's probably too long for the twist in the .458 bore. So scrounging around in the fun room I came up with one of the "new style" Lyman #454613 molds. If I mount the RCBS blocks on the handles without the base plug and the bracket that extends from one mounting screw to the other, then the screw heads will hold the C-ring on the base plug from the #454613. So if I don't break down and order a fast twist barrel then by fortunate happenstance I can still use the mold in the .458 bore x 24" twist TC New Englander.

Latest posts

Back