• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Somebody say, "I told you so"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will agree black powder will be your best bet!
only faux powder triple 7 works great in my new englander nipple gun but Goex Rule!!!!!!

ken

Goex blackpowder (2f or 3f, both worked great and grouped very well), stainless steel nipple, and Remington caps worked fine in my .54 GPR. I got away from snapping caps as they sometimes leave debris in the nipple. For cleaning, I always flushed with hot soapy water, then rinsed, dried bore thoroughly, and followed with several Ballistol patches. Rarely had a problem with misfires, except occasional faulty cap. Remember to use a smaller caliber bristle brush and small patch to clean the patent breech area. Also, I always ran a clean, dry patch down the bore and breech area prior to loading up for a hunt.

Capper said:
This is an easy fix. I didn't know you were using Pyrodex. Get rid of that manure and use real BP.

Problem solved.

Seriously.
Ya brother :bow: .
Go to powder inc..
try to find a buddy to go in on a case or like I do because I shoot so much a case a year.
I built a Hawken kit with a patent breach in 1982 in shop class.
I used I pyrodex and got horrible hang fires missfires etc...
Once I switched to the real stuff that doesen't take such a hot ingnition I was in muzzleloader heaven.
:thumbsup:

haven't shot percussion in a while, but when i did, most of my misfire problems were caused by cleaningcrud (i.e. - rana patch down the bore just before firing, which shoved funk into the channel)

one guy's free opinion, and no doubt worth every penny.

good luck with your fix, and with future hunts!

I say your problem is the pyro-stuff. If your going to use it get a musket cap nipple and use those. I never had problems with hang fires until I tried using pyrodex. Use real black powder and you shouldn't have any problems. :thumbsup:

Whenever I go on a hunt the day before I will fire off a small amount of powder in my back yard and then charge the fouled barrel and sit a leather pad on the nipple , hammer down. Goes bang next day first try :thumbsup:
I will keep a gun loaded for days, just a note in the muzzle or under the hammer saying LOADED for any loose idiots.

The Remington caps do seem a little keener.

Brits.

Back