• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Something special from Old Germany

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intersting that it appears to have a forward lockbolt going through from the left lock and threaded into the right, similar to a longrifle. Curious how they dealt with the ramrod since, with a sxs, that screw would go right through the middle of it. The pictures don't show but perhaps, there is no RR on the gun. It was possibly made for an aristocrat that had someone load for him and therefor there was no need to accomodate a rod on the gun???

Why would the lock bolt interfere with the rod on a double gun? The rod is in the same place regardless of whether there is one barrel or two. :hmm:

Un like a single barrel gun, on a sxs, the rod rides against the bottom rib which is recessed in between the barrels. The top of the rod is above the bottom of the barrels.

German double guns generally use a "normal" type rod arrangement. The rod goes into a hole drilled into the wood.

Here's a gun sold by Hermann Historica some time ago, that perhaps might better illustrate the arrangement:
61903.jpg

61903_b.jpg

some German double rifles are full stocked, which is pretty durn cool.

Stophel said:
German double guns generally use a "normal" type rod arrangement. The rod goes into a hole drilled into the wood.

I don't think so Chris. The gun you posted looks like any other sxs. The rod doesn't go into a hole drilled into the stock. It goes into a groove cut into the stock so the rod rides right against the barrels and rib. There is no web of wood between the rod and barrels for the screw to pass through lime on a single barrel gun. The gun in your post looks as if the nose of the locks are low enough to allow for screw to pass under the rod. The gun posted by undertaker does not look like it would.

Are you looking at the same picture I posted? The rod goes into a normal type ramrod pipe on the bottom of the fore end. There is clearly wood between the rod and the barrels. Plus, just how could that barrel tenon and wedge be where it is, if the rod was right up touching the barrels?

As a matter of fact, this exact same gun was illustrated by Shumway in his column "Our Germanic Rifle Heritage" in Muzzle Blasts, Feb. 1992 where you can even more clearly see the lower ramrod pipe and barrel wedge and lock screws, all in their normal positions. Actually, if you look at the gun straght on the side, it looks like an ordinary single barrel half stock gun. :wink:

While perusing through Hermann-Historica (which everyone should do from time to time!), I found a couple of other guns that might be of interest.

Here's a fullstock double:
59353.jpg

59353_c.jpg

I wish they showed the muzzle end.

Haven't found a "good" image of a typical German side by side on the net without me having to scan anything, but look at this one. It has a bit of a rib, which smooths things up under the barrel considerably. Usually, the ramrod under the barrel is rather awkward looking as it takes a turn at the middle rod pipe and bends down to the lower rod pipe, just as with a single barrel half stock.
32703.jpg

Ah, wait, I do have something. While these are not "typical German" as they are clearly done in the French style (ca 1790), you can see the ramrod arrangement.
German.jpg

I happened to have this French gun on too:
French.jpg

The pictures of this beautiful piece of art is almost like a drug.I don't know how many times I have viewed them.This weapon was undoubtly prepared for someone who was very high ranking.

Hey Cody, when they do have the rod right under the barrels, how do they attach the barrel to the stock? I see them with a wedge really low on the fore end, but do they just put the tenon on one barrel (rather than in the center), or one on both barrels, straddling the rod, with the wedge going into both of them?

Typically they have a RR thimble soldered between the barrels which has an integral wedge loop on it so the barrel wedge goes under the thimble but I do have (somewhere) a set of barrels (from a flintlock IIRC) that has two loops, one on each barrel. That set up would require a pretty skinny rod.

Just saw it now because I was a little busy the last two weeks.

Woooww! What a great gun! :bow: :bow:
Thank you very much for posting the pics undertaker! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back