• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

son's first sidelock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Saturday was the first day of muzzleloader season in Virginia and found my son and I hunting opposite sides of a small farm. About 9:30 two bucks passed by without offering a shot and about 30 minutes latter I heard a shot from across the farm. My son had killed a 5 pt. with his tompson center renegade (.50) using a roundball and 70 grns. of black powder. The deer only went about 50 yards after the shot and he is now totally hooked on hunting in the traditonal way. We were truly blessed to have this day together.

Sounds like a great experience for both of you - I am happy to hear it. These are the kinds of experiences that are remembered fondly for a lifetime! Thanks for sharing it with us.

good to hear :thumbsup:

Cheers! to your boy and his fine take :hatsoff:

You are one LUCKY man to be able to hunt with your son! :thumbsup:
Congrats to your son and welcome to our world. :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Congratulations :thumbsup: . I remember how happy I was when I got my first smokepole kill. This year I'll get to shoot real blackpowder out of my new renegade. I shoot 75 grains of 3fffg in mine for deer but it hasn't killed anything yet. I was starting to think that my 75 grains of powder isn't enough because the owner of the local deer locker has shot traditional muzzleloaders for a long time and he said that he always used 100 grains of 2ffg in his .50s. I tried that once and it recoiled like CRAZY.

I used 80grs in my .50 with RB. Killed one over 100yrds with that load. I used 100grs when I used a Max-ball. :thumbsup: Dilly

Doesn't get much better than hunting with your son ('cept maybe hunting with your daughter).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: That's great and congrats to your son. :applause: Griz

Back