• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sorry a bit oftopic: colt dragoon for sd?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent00

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, mayby I will purchase soon a colt dragoon for target/fun shooting. But I wounder if it would be possible to use the dragoon for serious self defence in an case of emergency. I am from austria und here in my country the crime rate is not so high and it is very unlikly that I have to use my gun for somethin else than target/fun shooting.

ps: I know that there are today much better choices for a seld defence pistol or revolver, but I am only intersted in bp fun shooting, and as I have allready mentioned it is very unlikly that I have to use my gun for that purpose And even if I would be intersed in purchasing a modern centerfire gun, i would be sticked wiht fmj ammo, because jhp ammo is not allowed in my country for pistols and revolver

It would work. It did for a lot of years. But....Who will know where it is? How long will it sit around the house without being fired? How long will the caps last? Will the powder be dry when you need it? I would suggest you fire it at least once a month just so you can clean it and reload with fresh powder. :m2c:

The powder will stay dry a long time, and modern caps will last a long time. Primers in metallic cartridges made in the 1880s still function flawlessly. Even intact rounds from "custers last stand" site still fired perfectly in original guns. And the powder will last, theres the fact that a famous historical figure left a pistol loaded in a shed rood for over a hundred years and it fired fine.

True theres a chance that a cap may not function properly or a load of powder will somehow fail to ignite, but that can be prevented with reasonable means.

Powder attracts water, does not matter if its a loose powder or a pellet. A change in temperature around metal normally makes it condense, cold metal from fridge to outside in warm weather makes the metal sweat real fast. And that applies to all firearms.

To control temp changes you could take a small metal/plastic/wood box that the gun can fit into and make sure the lid has no gaps when closed and fill the inside with high strength dessicant pads. Keep the loaded gun in the box until its needed.

Some will say that a bp revolver is useless for anything other than shooting targets, but these were being used to kill buffalo, quite often with single shots. and many people have hunted deer and hogs with them with very good results, so that disproves them as being weak weapons.

Semi-autos seem to be nice as they have large capacity magazines and rapid fire but they have problems. They have at least two safeties, and most makers seem to be designing them with at least 3 seperate safties that need to be pushed to get a shot off, a bp revolver is simple, load, cock, aim, pull trigger, and repeat. And most people forget safeties when someone is trying to kill them. Double action revolvers were foudn to be the easiest for everyone to use, no safeties to push in, just aim and pull the trigger.

And a 9mm may seem wonderful because you can get lots of ammo rather cheaply, but performance wise it sucks. the only reason its considered to be a good gun is because the mauser and luger pistols used it, good gun equals good ammo to the "professionals". My grandfather was a long time cop and he learned time and again that a 38 special and 357 magnums will drop a person with 1 shot when using the old police load, aka "chicago load". If you watch american tv shows youll see the police ones where a cop puts 14 rounds of 9mm into a suspect, and the suspect proceeds to walk the 10 feet to the cop and beat the manure out of the cop..

So that dragoon will not leave you underpowered. just HIT your target, and DO NOT AIM TO "INJURE" OR "INCAPACITATE". That defeats the purpose of a gun and defending yourself. If you cant shoot to kill, no gun will be effective for defense.

I agree with stumpkiller, FMJs are almost worthless as a manstopper unless you go to a bigger bore which makes expansion a less critical factor.

Personally I would prefer a 12 guage for home defense and a short barrelled DA revolver for concealed carry, but you gotta make do with what you have not what you want.

I read that the requirement for the design of the Dragoon was that it be able to drop a horse. In my opinion that should make it overkill for a man, and when a man is coming at you with the intent and capability to do greivous bodily harm overkill is exactly what you want.

ok thx again for your answers, and I know that cap and ball revolvers are not as reliable as modern guns, but as I have allready mentioned this was a more theretical question.

I would imagine a soft lead .44 caliber ball would function very well for self defense, plus statistics here in the US indicate that most of the time merely producing a gun is enough to deter a criminal.

There is a poster on another gun board who has actually defended himself against criminals with a pair of Walker Colts.

A couple of disadvantages though:

You will probably never have to fire it in self-defense and it will sit unfired for times amounting to years, hence you will probably want to clean it more often than you actually fire it. A modern cartridge gun can easily be unloaded, this process is tedious in a muzzleloader.

If you decide to take it to the range to "unload it", you will be travelling with a loaded firearm, this might not be legal where you live.

Most self-defense shootings happen very quickly, estimates run about two seconds for the outcome to be decided . You may not be able to cock the hammer in time. If the hammer is already cocked, or if you are pointing a cocked gun at someone, the stress of the moment may cause you to accidentally pull the light trigger. This is why few police forces use single-action handguns.

All that being said, it would probably be better than no gun at all. Just be aware of its limitations.

Birdwatcher

ok thx again for the answers, and would I have to worry about overpentration when using the dragoon for sd?
I am not an balistic expert, but I think 44 cal soft lead rounball would flatten when it a soft target and the risk of overpentration is not given.

A .44 cal. lead ball will flatten when it hits and leave a huge wound channel in your assailant. Odds are he's going to have to explain to Jesus in person why he's there. :thumbsup:

I think if you load dry powder into an absolutly dry chamber, seat a tight fitting ball on top and cover it with a good, non-drying grease, set tight fitting caps on the nipples it should be as reliable as a cartridge for many years.
But that's only for the first shot. I've had fired caps jam up a revolver often enough that I feel only the first shot is 100% reliable.
A side benefit though, all that smoke and fire and stuff flying about would sure shake up your opponent, and prehaps buy time for a second shot if needed, and if not, well it's best to not wait to see, just keep shootin!
Nothing is faster for the first shot than a single action Colt. It would not be my first choice, but if it were all I had I would not feel unarmed.
:m2c:

ok thx again for the answers, and would I have to worry about overpentration when using the dragoon for sd?
I am not an balistic expert, but I think 44 cal soft lead rounball would flatten when it a soft target and the risk of overpentration is not given.
Don't worry about over penetration or penetrating walls. Any gun that can kill a man will penetrate the walls of a home easily.

Back