• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sour dough

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many different methods to make a good basic starter but this is as easy as any.

Stir well 2 cups white flour, 2 cups of barely warm water, and 1 package dry yeast or a yeast cake (crumbled). Set in a warm (not hot) place or a closed cupboard overnight to allow it to work. This will become what is known as your sponge.

In the morning put one half cup of the starter in a scalded pint jar with a tight cover and put in a cool place. This is your sourdough starter. Use the other half for hotcakes, waffles, bread, etc.

ALWAYS be sure to save at least a half cup of the starter for future use and ALWAYS store it in a cool place. When preparing any recipe, save the half cup of starter first and put it away before you begin so you don't screw up and use all of your starter by accident!

NEVER mix or store your starter in metal bowls or containers.

I've also made sourdough starter from boiled potatos but can't remember where I put the recipe.

You can also purchase online, starters from all over the world-for instance if you want a famous San Francisco sourdough. The initial investment is worth it because as stated, you always keep some back to use for the next batch.

At one time I had a recipe for a starter using purple grapes at the moment I can't put my hands on it but it's sure worth looking for on the net. I will say that when it first starts brewing it had a profound odor but by the time it was ready to use it turned out to be one of the best sour dough starters I've ever had. :wink:

Here's mine for my biscuits,made thousands of them since 82. 1-cup starter-1cup sour milk,(vinegar&milk)one-fourth cup oil. Dry-flour,teaspoon salt,teaspoon baking soda,two packets sweet low or 1 tablespoon sugar. Put cup or two of flour in bowl,add other dry parts, mix, add liquids sir and add flour to make the dough so you can work it till slick. Cut and bake on cast iron. 22-25 mins at 400. Some ovens vary,check after 20 mins so don't get to brown. Makes 17-18. I use whole wheat& white together. Always use white in my starter so it don't get to black looking. I keep over two cups of starter in frig at all times. Just take out a cup and warm up in hot water till it starts to bubble, ready to use. Add flour&water to remaining starter and let it work 8hrs at room temps. The more you work the dough, the higher they rise. Dilly

Blizzard Homesteader here on the forum has my starter. He's down your way. He said mine made the others taste like cardboard. :) Dilly

About 2 cups of starter room temp.
1 T sugar
1 egg
about 1 t. oil
t.salt
mix all together then add t. or more of soda.
you can see the soda working,then put what you want on the griddle,they will cook fast,won't take long to flip.They are thin,and are really good.This is what we do,you may want to do it
your way enjoy. Had my wife do this one as she makes them better then me. If you make the biscuit recipe, and take a small ball of dough and roll out thin and drop in hot grease will make the best fry bread. I haven't made very much bread. Homesteader has done that. My starter has never had any thing but water&flour in it since 82. I started it with one packet of dry yeast.If you use it at least once a week it does better. Dilly

Here's mine, we have used this in the sheep camp and home for years.
Make sure your starter is quite thick, runny starter is only good for hotcakes.
In a 2 qt. bowl add 1 1/4 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 3/4 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder. mix well. To the top of the dry ingredients add 1 1/2 cups of starter, add 1 tablespoon oil, add (1/4 cup vinegar and 3/4 cup milk mixed).
Take a wooden spoon and srir around the edges working the dough. once the dough can be kneaded, fold it over and knead it 5 or 6 times only.
Grap the dough and pinch off 2"- 2 1/2" dough balls, place them in a baking pan or i prefer my pregreased Griswold #8 cast iron skillet. place about 1" apart.
Let rise for 30 minutes and bake on 390* for 20 minutes.
We like ours with honey butter or jam.
Add 1 1/4 cups flour and about 3/4 cup water back to your starter and your finished.
Always feed the first biscuit to the dog. :barf: It takes about 3 days for them to really WANT to be biscuits.
Thanks,

Sourdough cornbread.
1 cup starter,2cups milk,2 cups cornmeal,2 eggs,1/4
cup oil,1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda,2 tablespoons sugar. Put dry ingredients in bowl, In a separate vessel add 1 cup milk and starter, add oil and whipped eggs, then add to dry ingredients. Mix and add some more milk if need. I usually don't have to use two full cups of milk. Bake in cast iron skillet, I use a square one, at 375 for 25 mins. Enjoy. I use two sweet&low instead of sugar. Sourdough likes a little sweet. Dilly

Baking with Sourdough by Sara Pitzer. Published by Storey- Bulletin A-50. I got mine from Lehman's Store in Kidron, Ohio. It has it all. Dilly

Here is a place to get a free starter...http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/
I have used this...well am using it... I made bread and waffles from it just yesterday... Its has a mild sour flavor...

One thing I have found with my sourdough is that it does not "feed" well on white flour. I don't know if it is because it has been bleached, or what, but it never gets as active, or stays active for so long as if I use whole wheat flour, preferable fresh ground in my home mill.

Yes, adding some fresh (crushed) grapes can help. Grapes have lots of natural yeasts on the skins.

The "sour" part of the sourdough is not from the yeast however, but from the action of the lactobacillus. They excrete lactic acid as they grow. But then as the dough gets more acid, it starts becoming less habitable for them, and more habitable for the yeast. So the yeast starts to take over, producing alcohol as a byproduct (which you can smell in the "hooch" that forms on top). Anyway, the alcohol starts to make the dough less habitable for the yeast, but better for the lactobacillus. And back and forth it goes in a deliciously symbiotic relationship.

Therefore, if you are looking for a real tangy taste to your sourdough, it is important to "set a sponge" for a day or two before you make bread (or pancakes). Just mix a cup or two of starter (I use all but a couple of tablespoons of my starter, and then feed what is left and put it away for the next time)in with your flour and water (and maybe your sugar), and leave it sit at least overnight. You should be able to see it working. Then add the rest of your dough ingredients, let rise, etc. You can get by with no additional yeast, but it is tricky.

Right now I am working on starting a new rye sourdough. My wife thought the last one was some science experiment gone wrong, and she threw it out. :(

This came out of my dutch oven yesterday... YUmmmm

sourdough.jpg
[/img]

Nice! Do you use new yeast in the dough, or just let the sourdough work?

That loaf was just the sourdough no added yeast... I mixed it all up about 10 pm.. let it set until about 8 am the next morning... formed it.. and let it set about 2-3 hours... This is a no knead bread.... baked in a dutch oven...

I know that asking a bread maker for a recipe is usually fruitless (I know this cause I never use one myself), but having never made a "no knead" bread, tell me about ingredients and technique. It sounds like a really practical kind of trail bread, because of the problem of finding a clean place to knead bread. Not that a little camp dirt ever killed anyone mind you.

Do you ever do sourdough rye?'

I agree that plain white flour does not "feed" the sourdough starter very well. I have always used whole wheat flour which makes the starter much more active and viable.

Back