• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source of Canvass????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasmokepole

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I hand-sewed a Baker Style Lean-to some years back for trekking but made it of heavy duty 14 oz. canvass I bought from Dick Blick Art Supply. Not the light weight choice I had hoped for - and it was expensive. Turned out the lean-to was way too heavy to pack. I am getting the itch to sew again.

Does anyone have a good source for a variety of canvasses?? Consider the weight, the cost and the sizes available.

By the way - the lean-to I built was A LOT cheaper than could be purchased from anyone AND it is much more heavy duty. Great rendezvous tent.

I buy all mine at Hancock fabric on sale. I also use Joanne fabric. They both have great deals. I was able to put together a 12' tipi for $62.40. You can't beat that.

Regards

Try Lowes. They have a variety of canvas in the paint department. I recently saw painters canvas from 8 oz to 14 oz in a variety of sizes. Home Depot might also have the same thing.

Joanne's is going out of business. I would expect the notices out around mid May - mid June. You might want to keep an eye out! If you need any muslin or calico, now is the time to buy, they are already marking stuff down and you may be able to go in and talk to the manager to give you a heads up on the closing of your local store.

Also, don't forget to waterproof and fire retard the material.

I don't know if you have a Sherwin-Williams paint store near you but around here they run a sale in April on 10 oz canvas dropcloths. The weave is much tighter than what I've found in Lowe's or Home depot. The other great thing is that it's woven on a 12' wide loom so there aren't any seams.

As has been said on other threads, if you decide to weather-proof it yourself, use something non-flammable. Anything with linseed oil is just plain dangerous.

Many of the small older stores are going out of buisiness. THe BIG super stores they just build are staying in buisiness according to the managers I just talked too. It is happening here too. The demise of the smaller stores in outer locations. Too bad. They just lost my business.

My fault folks...it is Hancock's Fabrics that is going out of business. I don'[t know the name, I just know where it is! I confirmed this morning, it is definelty Hancocks here in Northern KY. I think that some of the Joanne's are going out too. With the prices of calico and canvas at Walmart, it is a wonder anybody stays in business.

Very good input. Never thought about drop cloths - and the 12' rolls sound great. My fingers are not looking forward to all those seams again. Never thought about Wal Mart or the hardware stores. I pretty much limited myself to art supply stores - thanks for all the help.
I used Canvac from Cabela's to waterproof my lean-to.

Latest posts

Back