• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sourcing a pistol double set trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travler

Perusing Happiness
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to recreate a pistol - picture shown. I enlarged from a book and glued it to a wood base. I will be cutting and shaping just to see how the hold feels before I start with a real blank.

This project will use a new Ketland lock and a tapered 40 cal slow twist barrel (I have these)

I need a trigger. Some very nice folks on another forum shared the plans for a like trigger set. If I can source one, I may be better off. I have done a single trigger before, and it is much less involved. The issue I have is the curvature. From what I see on Track or other sites the plate is rather flat and I think if I bent it as much as I need, I will be corrupting the geometry badly. Suggestions gladly accepted.

Regards.
Travler

Attachments

• triggers_pistol_2.jpg
    triggers_pistol_2.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240403_175200.jpg
    20240403_175200.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
A trigger is not very big. Before I had access to a lathe or milling machine, which would make me younger then a teen. Would use some files to shape the trigger out of tool steel (no bending) and a drill press for holes. Had no way to out source, so if I wanted it bad enough, it would be home made.

The issue I have is the curvature. From what I see on Track or other sites the plate is rather flat and I think if I bent it as much as I need, I will be corrupting the geometry badly. Suggestions gladly accepted.
Short of you finding someone to fabricate one or making a double set trigger yourself, could be a difficult search, but I’ve been plenty wrong before. Now there are single triggers out there, if you could live with one, that should be close enough to modify to fit the geometry of the pistol you have in mind to build. Below is one from TOW for example. Position it correctly in the stock relative the lock sear bar and you should get a sweet trigger pull, though not exactly a double set trigger. There is a shorter lock plate option.
1712282625334.png

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/920/1/tr-pist-c-tp

I am looking to recreate a pistol - picture shown. I enlarged from a book and glued it to a wood base. I will be cutting and shaping just to see how the hold feels before I start with a real blank.

This project will use a new Ketland lock and a tapered 40 cal slow twist barrel (I have these)

I need a trigger. Some very nice folks on another forum shared the plans for a like trigger set. If I can source one, I may be better off. I have done a single trigger before, and it is much less involved. The issue I have is the curvature. From what I see on Track or other sites the plate is rather flat and I think if I bent it as much as I need, I will be corrupting the geometry badly. Suggestions gladly accepted.

Regards.
Travler
You are correct if you bend the trigger plate to conform to the shape of your pistol grip then most likely the triggers geometry will most likely not work. I've not made this type of triggers for a pistol but have made them for rifles. You just might have to "bite the bullet" and fashion one to fit your needs :dunno: ;).

There doesn't appear to be too much bending through the triggers area, some but not much, the major part of the curl is through the area where the main spring is and I think that wouldn't be too big a problem to bend that spring to fit, or even make one.
Kind of cool looking. If I wasn't so tied up I'd give it a go myself.
Robin

Back