• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Invasion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright. Just got back last night. 910 miles and it was STORMING for half the day on Sunday. Almost ate it big time once coming through Kentucky. Hit a slick spot on a turn in the rain and ended up going through halfway to opposite lock all wingless Sprint Car style. I suppose that's an appropriate way to end a trip to Indiana. lol

The second day I was there I missed a shot on a really nice buck. Just shaved hair off his chest. When I went to look for blood there was just 4' wide POOF of white hair scattered on the ground. I was actually able to follow the hair trail for about 30 yards. No blood at all though. So, other than the hair, it was a clean miss and He's gonna make a real nice trophy for someone.

Estimating range there was weird. Their deer are so much bigger than ours that they seem closer.

got this guy on the last day I hunted. I was sitting on the ground on the bank of one side of a ditch/creek in between 3 tress that were growing right next to each other. He came in on the right, from the completely opposite direction I expected them to be coming. He was walking along the bank opposite to me. So I was trying to ooze my gun around to get him lined up and had it pretty well around when he got directly opposite to me, spotted me and started that critical staring thing they do. At that time I only had the gun around and not my other arm. I did'nt know what else to do and knew he was gonna bug out any second. So I leveled the gun and shot him one handed. lol. If it had been more than 10 or 15' away I would never even consider doing something like that. But I got a clean double lung and a blood trail a vegetarian could follow. Lungs were complete mush.

ForkyMcGoofball.jpg

That same morning my buddy Adam got a nice doe with his flinter, also from the ground, 100 yds from where I was sitting, 15 minutes after I got my buck. And my other buddy, Chris, got a nice buck with his levergun. .44. Also hunting from the ground

IMG_1239.jpg

This was my first ML buck and second lifetime. 5th Deer of any kind lifetime. (I'm not really a big deer hunter.)

We were supposed to go duck hunting the next morning. We were jumping a lot of ducks on the river and I was gonna christen the Belgian 12ga, but by that time everyone was just too exhausted to do anything at all and we all took a day off to recuperate.

Britsmoothy said:
Well done :thumbsup:

Is that two Broad heads??

B.

no, it's one of those overly complex modern heads with replaceable blades. I think they're for people who don't want to be bothered with actually sharpening their broadheads.

Supercracker said:
He came in on the right, from the completely opposite direction I expected them to be coming.

It's an Indiana law that any deer that approaches any hunter must do so from behind, or, from the weak shoulder. It's written right in the regulations Supercracker. Maybe you missed it. :idunno:

Glad you had a great trip and really appreciate that you shared it with us. Hope you make it back up soon! :thumbsup:

Skychief.

We have the same law in Va. We also have a law that says squirrels must stay holed up in hollow trees all day when anyone with an ML under .45 caliber enters the woods.

Supercracker said:
Yep, Wabash.....................and that's all I'm divulging. lol
:grin:

Yep that territory looks familiar. I cuurently hunt on the Illinois side of the Wabash but have hunted on both sides of the river from Terre Haute south to where the White and the Wabash merge. You Gents where in some fine deer country! Congrats on what looks like a fine time for you...

Snow

Yep, there were deer everywhere. I saw deer every time we went out. Getting into a good shooting position from the ground was a whole nother story though.

They're huge too, compared to our deer down here. Not surprising though with all the corn growing around there. It's like the deer are living inside a giant Golden Corral Buffet all their lives.

Back