• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Mountain parts set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchrd

Pilgrim
Reaction score
First, thanks to all for sharing your knowledge,
I have been lurking on this site for quite some time and getting answers to questions I never dreamed of and I am going attempt to build a southern mountain rifle in 36 cal. flintlock from Track Of The Wolf or Pecatonica River.
I am lost as to witch would be the better combination,the Colerain barrel and the deluxe Siler by Chambers from TOW,or the Green mountain barrel and the L&R Durs Egg from Pecatonica.
again Thank you for making this site a wonderful place to learn something old.

Ray

In my opinion, the Durs Egg is closer to the type of lock you might actually find on a SM rifle. I have actually built 2 of them using that lock, both in .36 cal. Also I have had better luck w/ GM barrels. I've used several of them in various calibers. I did use a Colerain once in "A" weight but could never get it to shoot a good group. I replaced it w/ a GM "A" weight and had no trouble. Perhaps I just got a lemon.

Welcome Ray!
A Siler is sorta not HC for a SMR (altho I've done it).
But... You didn't ask that.
So I'd go with the durs egg option.
(Or put your own parts set together with a Chambers late Ketland. )
/mike

Whatever you do don't use a Siler on a SMR, it is not the correct lock....and please at least consider a longer barrel.

If you've been lurking for a while then you are aware of the special set of problems that are present when getting a precarve pre-inlet for a lock.

Paying for a lock inlet is a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned. First, they all need work and it's easier to start from scratch than screw with somebody elses udersized, machine made cut. Then you consider that they are rarely in the ideal location. :shake:

Save your money and get a stock not inlet for the lock and buy a Chambers Late Ketland. It is the proper lock and probably the fastest production lock out there.

Have you considered a Gillespie rifle. Here's a link to Dennis' page:
http://www.gillespierifles.com/catalog_pg.htm

Just click on "catalog page" in the text. Dennis can have the stock inlet for a swamped barrel for $30 extra and with a Rice Southern Classic you can go with a 42" barrel for about the weight of a straight 36" and have a better gun.

Just food for thought. Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you can get a Green Mountain barrel right now. Although I've have heard that Tip Curtis has a bunch of them in stock. A Colerain or a Dehaas barrel would be my next choice.

Ditto Kerstetter!!!

If you cant do extensive work on locks go with a Chambers "late Ketland" lock

I would go with Pecatonica, Green. Mtn barrel, and a Chambers Ketland lock, Davis DST-4 trigger asm. Call Dick or Doug at Pecatonica, they will do a stock for you in swamped or straight barrel. You can leave the lock panel blank & inlet your own lock, or have them cut a inlet for the Ketland lock.
I just helped a guy set up to buy same & it can all be done there. They will fit the breechplug for ya to is you wish.

Keith Lisle

Thank you all for your help. Toy fund willing and the wife don't find out I am going to get the kit with a 42" swamped barrel and late Kentland lock.
Ray

Looks like you've made up your mind, just wanted to throw one more vote out there for the Chambers late Ketland. You might also contact Troy Roop at Stonewall Creek outfitters. I think his colerain barrels are 20% off now.

Latest posts

Back