• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Mountain Rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, this was only number 2 for me and there are clearly a few minor "whoopsies" but overall I'm pretty satisfied with it. My son cracked the stock around the lock mortise and trigger area and I felt like I was in over my head so I had some assistance repairing that and doing the final finishing but mostly it was my work.

Cropped.jpg

014-2.jpg

That's pretty doggone nice for #2, GangGreen! Thanks for sharing. What caliber is it? Let us know how it shoots.

Thanks everyone. It's a .36 and I used LMF in honey maple. So far it shoots fine but I'm still experimenting to find a load. I had a 3 shot group nearly touching at 25 yards with 35 grains of FFFg and a .350 ball and .010 pre-lubed patch yesterday. I have a sneaking feeling that it will prefer that same .350 ball with an .018 pillow ticking patch, which is on the way.

Thanks for the kind words about the build but the gun does have issues. That said, overall I'm happy with it. Oh, by the way, it's very light with the 3/4" straight barrel but the 36 inches also balances it very well. Everyone who's picked it up so far has commented first about how light it is (I haven't weighed it but I'm guessing not much over 5.5 pounds) and how well balanced it is.

Looks nice like it I see your from Coudersport i get up that way some through out the year

LHunter said:
Looks nice like it I see your from Coudersport i get up that way some through out the year

I actually live a bit north of there but the kids attend Coudy and we live in the district. It's nice country and we all like it very much.

Back