• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Mt. rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased a Tenn. or southern Mt. rifle kit from a friend. Here's a pic and I'll post another when finished.

Southern_Mountain_rifle_parts.jpg

It's finished but I stained it so dark that I can't seem to get a good picture probably have to take it out in the sun.

Classic_Mt_rifle_2.jpg

Could you please show the patch box side on the next picture if possible?

I sure like that style... :winking:

Wait a second, isn't that Liver eatin' Johnson's iron patch box for his shootin' iron?
:winking:

I haven't shot it yet, hopefully tomorrow. I'll try to take some pictures outside. It' .45 cal.
You wouldn't know it to look at it but I used the same stain as I used on the Haines rifle but more of it, didn't really mean to get it quite this dark.
Sorry, MM but I didn't put the patchbox on it. I may yet but was in a hurry, start to finish in 2 weeks.

Sorry, MM but I didn't put the patchbox on it. I may yet but was in a hurry, start to finish in 2 weeks.

Once it's done, I for one would love to see it...

You do rare fine work thar, Deadeye... :applause:

" didn't really mean to get it quite this dark."

Personally, I like a dark stained stock. I think it looks good.

Thanks, Deadeye.

Didn't notice that you also made the Haines rifle in the earlier post. I'll have to check out Wampler stains, along with BC, Laurel Mountain, etc for my current (first) project.

Just got back from shooting it. Shot good. one hole with 20 grs.3f (sounded like an air gun)25Yds. One hole with 40 grs. 3f 2 " higher (1420 fps) and one hole 60 3f another inch higher (1670 fps). It was dead on windage wise but 5" low for 20 gr. 3" for 40 grs. and 2"for 60 grs. I'll cut my front sight for 40 grs. probably the load I'll shoot the most.
MM is this the side you wanted to see? :: :winking:

Tenn__Southern_Mt_Rifle.jpg

Thanks for posting pics of that gun. She's a beaut!!

Regards, sse

Nice gun, but how did you get the picture of it from the surface of Mars? How in the world do you hunt in territory like that? I can see about 30 yards in any direction except for the occasional 80 yard window where I hunt. I hear most deer long before I see them. ('Cept for the occasional wise 'ol buck who sits down in the middle of a 500 acre alfalfa field where no one can sneak up on him). You'd have to dress like a rock and tippy-toe after a deer in that spot you pictured. I guess that's like looking at a lake surface and wondering where to start fishing when you're used to streams.

Nice gun, but how did you get the picture of it from the surface of Mars?

Looks like Mars to me... :winking: :haha: :haha: :haha:

mars.jpg

"In-line shooters make me very angry, very angry indeed!"

Stumpy, be nice! Thats my shooting range, I don't hunt there. Not many trees in the valleys here but there are great forest of quaking Aspens, cedars,pines, etc. on the Mts. It's 5000 ft. here but where we hunt is 10000 or more.

Buck_85.jpg

This is more like where we hunt.

Or this side. Not quite so dark out in the sunlight.

Classic_southern_Mt.jpg

Stumpy, If 'ats whar I thin it is, em mountains o'er yonder are prime Mountain Man country. In fact, iffen it are whar I thin it is, the Green River is o'er thar at tha base along with Browns Hole. Course Ah mite be about 500 miles off too.
What say ye Deadeye?

Having driven from western Wyoming to Salt Lake many times, could that picture be the western side of the Wasatch? Great mountain range.....almost as good as the Salt River and Wyoming range where I used to live!!

Vic

Your way off, We have lots of similar looking Mts. from one end of the state to the other. The ones in the picture, the Tushar Mts. sometime called the Bollys are a few miles south of where I-70 connects to I-15, they're over 12000 ft.
and your right Zonie, they're good Mt. man country as is Monroe Mt. which starts about 4 blocks from my house and goes up to over 11000 ft. Can't get up there yet, too much snow, but soon.

Latest posts

Back