• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

spalted maple ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetsniper

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Some guy on ebay is selling spalted maple gun blanks. I remember this on topic a while back. Is it suitable? The price seems right. Billy

That all depends on the blank. I have seen some & have used a couple that were nice, solid & etc. I have also seem some that were just plain rotten & soft, & definately unsuitable for a rifle. :shake:

be careful about that stuff.
It's a fungus that causes that.
Very harmful to breathe when it becomes airborne.

I've worked with spalted woods in the past, and they can be a real nightmare. The "spalting" is basiclly from the wood beginning to rot. Although it's pretty, and can sometimes work, I don't know if I'd trust it for a rifle stock in the long term.

Back