• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spare Cylinder for Uberti 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Pierce

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Where do I find spare cylinders for my UBERTI 1858 New Model Army Remington? Will the ones sold by Cabellas work?
Mike P

Try:

http://www.vtigunparts.com

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com

Suggest you do not try the Pietta/Cabela's Remington cylinders in your Uberti unless you can do it hands on with your Remington and seller's cylinder. There are differences in ratchet sizes, cylinder notches, etc, etc.

You did not mention the age or caliber of your Remington. The older Uberti Remingtons have a smaller grip/frame; but the cylinders are the same in my experience. However, it would be best to verify compatability with the seller before purchasing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a word of caution - Several movies have shown carrying extra loaded cylinders for C&B revolvers and also there is literature that states some of the early issue military sidearms were issued with extra cylinders. From a safety stand point that is not a good practice. Drop a loaded and capped cylinder, you have all the components for an accidental discharge. Unlike dropping a cartridge, a loaded and capped cylinder will launch a ball same as being fired out of the gun.

We had this very thing happen a few years back at the range. A feller's loaded cylinder rolled off the table and landed at an angle on the support leg. It went off and launched a ball down the line, striking a guy in the shoulder a ways down. Luckily it didn't have much velocity since there was no barrel and the guy only had a big welt. Still, imagine if it had landed flat and fired up into the face of the owner.

PRM said:
Unlike dropping a cartridge, a loaded and capped cylinder will launch a ball same as being fired out of the gun.
Well, not quite the same. Dangerous, to be sure, but the ball will have only a fraction of the velocity and energy that it would coming out of a barrel. It could easily take out an eye, and while it likely wouldn't penetrate the skin, it wouldn't be very pleasant if it hit elsewhere. I would not personally choose to stand in front of it in any case.

OK, I concede without the barrel, velocity will decrease. How much??? I don't know if anyone has tested that, and it would certainly be interesting. Ruger Firearms did a rebuttal several years back on an article about Patersons and extra cylinders. Up until that time, I had not given it much thought. We can agree, a ball is coming out of the capped cylinder if it detonates. Maybe some of the members who have the equipment to test this can tell us velocity at the cylinder face. I for one would be interested in knowing exactly what we are talking about. How unsafe was the original practice? Shooters today are definitely being exposed to it through cinema.

-----wouldn't it be the same as getting shot with a derringer--which killed lots of people----

PRM said:
We can agree, a ball is coming out of the capped cylinder if it detonates. Maybe some of the members who have the equipment to test this can tell us velocity at the cylinder face. I for one would be interested in knowing exactly what we are talking about. How unsafe was the original practice? Shooters today are definitely being exposed to it through cinema.
I'd agree to more than that - it'll be coming out with enough energy to do some significant damage. Not as much as if it went down the barrel, but still dangerous, without any doubt.

As for testing, I'd think you'd need a theodolite camera. I doubt if a chronograph placed close enough to ensure the ball passed through it would be reliable due to the smoke. Would be interesting to try, however.

rubincam said:
-----wouldn't it be the same as getting shot with a derringer--which killed lots of people----
Yes, derringers killed people. As in hunting, shot placement is often the most important variable. I didn't say you wouldn't get hurt, or even killed, just that the lack of a barrel would have a significant effect on velocity and energy.

This is also one of those rare situations where a reduced load may be more deadly than a full charge load because of the ball being seated deeper (assuming no filler is used) effectively making the bore longer for more acceleration time.

What caught my attention on this, is that every black powder forum I have been on lately, someone has been asking about sources of spare cylinders for C&B revolvers. Whether this has been spurred from movies such as the Unforgiven, magazine articles, or shooters transitioning from modern to traditional arms. It seems there is a trend to carry extra loaded and capped cylinders with the same mindset as a spare magazine for a semi-auto. Just wondering if they are unaware of the potential danger.

Got the wrong movie - it was Pale Rider where the cylinders were swapped.

rubincam said:

Not quite. A derringer has at least some barrel, short as it is. With a cylinder, the ball is jumping straight out of the chamber with no bore to accelerate in. It's still dangerous though. I don't understand why folks want loaded spares. Loading is part of the fun.

Maybe forty years ago we experimented with this. We used a '51 Navy cylinder, a '60 Army cylinder and a Walker cylinder. The cylinders were loaded with a full charge and clamped in a vise. A sheet of 1" fir plywood with a small hole for the cylinder to stick through and for us to stand behind was set up and seven feet from that was a sheet of 1/2" plywood. Once in the vise, the cylinder was capped and then fired with a tap from a hammer on a punch. The balls from all the cylinders bounced off the plywood--except for a half charge in the Walker. The ball set far enough into the chamber that it actually got up enough velocity before it left the cylinder to stick into the 1/2" plywood and cause splintering on the back side of the panel. It was pretty impressive.

Plink said:
rubincam said:

Not quite. A derringer has at least some barrel, short as it is. With a cylinder, the ball is jumping straight out of the chamber with no bore to accelerate in. It's still dangerous though. I don't understand why folks want loaded spares. Loading is part of the fun.
i agree loading is part of the fun but it's useful for people with limited spare time so they can load the at home to fire more rounds at the range

Russ that sounds spot on compared to the feller at the range who got whapped with the ball out of the cylinder. It hit hard enough to leave a welt. But then again that's a pretty heavy piece of lead. It wouldn't need much velocity to leave a welt.

I have no idea what the resistance comparison between plywood and the human body is, but I have a feeling that the ball from that Walker cylinder would cause serious harm. Good thing that aiming it would be a problem...

I got a spare cylinder for my Uberti 36 New Model at Cabela's and had to file down the cylinder before it would work. After filing it down, it works like a charm, however you have to re-blue the front edge of the cylinder. The Cabelas spares do work but may require some filing to fit the piece.

I have bought 2 from Cabelas for a Pietta 51 Navy Colt .36 caliber and have not had to do anything except load and shoot.

In general, any replacement cylinder for any revolver MAY require some 'adjustment', regardless of supplier. Or, it MAY not.

I have 2 spares for my Pietta 58' NMA Sherif from Cabelas & luckily mine fit perfectly into my piece, I think that the reason why the cylinder was longer for the Uberti is because Pietta has their cylinders made a little longer than Uberti & Cabelas only supplies Pietta parts "cheaper I guess."

Back