• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

special deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOPE. = "The X-area" was originally high-fenced for a VERY LARGE Prisoner of War camp for German & Italians & later used for an impact area for the post ranges.

yours, satx

I have a .45 with a 36" barrel that has killed lots of deer for me. The .45 is one fine caliber for taking deer and I never needed but the one shot.

Congratulations on a good shot and a nice doe that you will remember for life.

And, oh. You need to read over the forum on the .45 and you will then realize it's NOT a deer caliber and will only kill them at point blank range, maybe, and only if you're an "expert" shot. You story was well written and fascinating.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I would say it was a really nice start to this rifle's hunting career.

I have not been shooting my muzzleloaders much the last few years as life has been getting in the way. I just finished college and I intend to get back into shooting a lot more. I hope to be able to add more hunting stories soon! Cheers SS.

Nice skewbald deer.

North of us is the old Seneca Army Depot with 10,000+ acres of high fence. There is a herd of white deer. Not albino, just white. It's not uncommon to see white splotches at the deer butcher's floor; but only a couple a year.

(Trivia - skewbald is white on a non-black base. Piebald is white on a black base coat).

Makes a person wish they could talk with the folks were kept there and their history.

Indeed so. - Unfortunately, there are few known EPW still alive, as it's been 7 decades since the POW camp closed.
(Additionally, when the historian of Brunswick County tried to find the 4 living men, who were known to have served as guards at the POW camp, two couldn't be found, one wouldn't talk about WWII & the other was suffering from senile dementia.)

yours, satx

Nice story and nice trophy, oh and good shooting! I have only seen one piebald on the hoof and never during the season. Congrats!

Back