• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spork?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of a spork? I have one that a friend made for me several years ago. He hammered it out of a piece of steel.
It is simply an eating utensil. There is a two pronged fork on one end, and a spoon on the other. The handle between fork and spoon ends pivets in the center on a rivet. There is a metal ring that slides along the handle that is used to "lock" the handle straight for easy use. For carrying, the handle is folded in half. Folded, the whole thing is about 4 inches long.
My camp kit consists of a tin "boiler". This is simply a small pot. It has a cover, a large handle like a cup, and a wire bale. It is about 5 inches in diameter and about 6 inch deep. Nested inside the boiler is a large tin cup that has a folding handle. My spork is kept inside a cloth bag inside the cup.
With the addition of my hunting knife, and fire starter kit, this completes all of my food preparation utensils. It is light weight, doesn't take up much room in my pack, and has plenty enough capacity for myself and maybe one other.
I also have a forged, steel frying pan that was made by my same friend. It also, has a lid, and a folding handle. It is about 8 inches in diameter, and about 1 1/2 inches deep. However, this frying pan alone is heavier than the rest of my cooking kit combined, so I usually leave the frying pan at home. I do like to take it when I'm on a canoe journey because I don't have to worry so much weight then.

A good point that I hadn't thought of. I'll have to make myself a wood spoon. Thanks.
Actually my spork came with the steel frying pan. There is a tiny, removable, spatula that fits over the fork end of the spork. It works great with the frying pan.

Yes. I made one a few years ago. Very handy, but if your boiler is tin lined the steel spoon will quickly wear through and the boiler will rust. Keeping the inside coated with oil will help, but tin lined pots should be used with wood utinsils whenever possible.

Spork ? But I am lefthanded, and i think if you hold it in the left hand it is called a "foon" .

When made with the spatula attachment is it called foonatula or sporkatula ?

The fore runner to the spork was the runcible spoon...

What's a runcible spoon?

runcible spoon:
noun: a forklike utensil with two broad prongs and one sharp curved prong

A runcible spoon is a utensil suitable for runciation. This of course is in contrast to an irruncible spoon, which one runciates at one's peril.

The first practical application of runcification was in 1871 when Edward Lear noted that a runcible spoon could be used by owls and pussycats.

"They dined on mince, and slices of quince, / Which they ate with a runcible spoon," from The Owl & The Pussy-Cat.

We have a quince bush now if I plant a mince tree maybe the owl will come to dine. The farmer allows walkers to cross the field for free, but the bull charges. Rocky
rolleyes.gif

We have a traveling dog. Yep, mated a Collie with a Lasa Apso, got a Collapso, fold it up, put it in a suitcase and go.

Latest posts

Back