• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring squirrel hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arkansas used to have a separate spring season from mid May to mid June. A few years back they made the regular squirrel season start in mid May and run until the end of February when the old fall season ended.

As some have said not as many folks hunt squirrel these days. Squirrels are rodents and IIRC can sustain a harvest of ~94% without impact to overall yearly numbers. I wouldn't worry too much about depopulatition due to spring hunting.

Thats what the old timers said about the passenger pigeon, Have fun on your hunts.
Just a wee bit different, especially nowadays with the F&G commissions.

I specifically remember back in about 1988-1989 in Tennessee. Early in the summer there were squirrels everywhere, in the road, dead on the roads, in yards, all over the place. Prior to squirrel season the F&G department put out articles in news papers, as well as other places, urging hunters to get out and kill squirrels that year. They sited that due to the over-population that it could do overall damage to the squirrel numbers due to lack of food and/or disease. I got out and hunted some but not a lot. Sure enough, the next year it was difficult to even see a squirrel, even when deer hunting. However, the following year the numbers began to increase and kept climbing. I've never forgotten that.

Also, during the later 1800's, deer were nearly decimated in TN. There were no hunting laws stopping folks from killing them year round. An old farmer buddy of mine that was born and raised in the hills were I lived went off to WW2. When he got back he was out on the family land and saw an animal track he didn't recognize so he went back and got his dad to show him. His dad informed him is was a deer track. Now, due to F&G laws, TN has a substantial deer population, especially in that area. I did some of my best deer hunting there when I was younger.

Last edited:
Thats what the old timers said about the passenger pigeon, Have fun on your hunts.

And if everyone and their uncle Charlie was out shooting every squirrel, as happened to all the passenger pigeons that flew by with absolutely no regulation, then overweening concern would be warranted. As the vast majority of squirrel hunters are dead, or nearly that way, the sport doesn't appear to be in danger of making a dent in their numbers while the posted seasons are open.

I vividly recall a certain Aunt and Uncle that wailed and vigorously decried the thought of shooting does from the herd back 35 years ago. Now, the State is trying their best to entice hunters to reduce the doe population because there aren't enough killed to keep the population in check. I don't think much about bureaucracy, but will give it to the DNR kudos for doing what they were established for, maintaining and regulating the wildlife populations. Not too worried about a repeat of the great passenger pigeon slaughter happening in the squirrel woods anytime soon.

Spect i will do some tree rat hunting here in Ky. in the late Spring season. My lil Josey Pie helps me eat them soon as they be cooked. We have us some squirrel n dumplings. I have my choice of 3 rifles to use, 2 .45's or my .40

Back