• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

spring squirrels... er, squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Kentucky’s spring squirrel season opened yesterday, so I had to go. I was looking forward to the day in the woods, but didn’t expect to see many squirrels, and that proved to be the case. Don’t know why, I just don’t seem to have a population of squirrels on my place in the spring.They are there all other times of the year, especially in the fall when the walnut, hickory, oaks, persimmons and such are producing, but I’ve decided there isn’t a good food supply for them in the spring, so they move and nest somewhere else. I’ve been hunting the place for over 30 years, I see squirrels at other times, have seen 9 in smoothbore range while sitting for deer one day, for example, but I’ve spent many an hour staring at empty trees over the years in the spring.

Carrying my double flint 20 gauge shotgun, I eased into the woods before full light, in an area with a few mulberry trees. It’s too early for them to be fruiting, so I was surprised to see a gray squirrel jump in the foliage not five minutes later. It was gloomy in there, couldn’t really see the squirrel well, but it ran onto a small horizontal limb, and, I thought, stopped. I held on the lump and fired. The smoke cleared quickly, and I saw nothing move, didn’t hear that nice thud I expected. Drat, must have missed. I reloaded, walked forward, and was pleased to see a big boar gray lying there. That got the juices flowing, and I had the thought that maybe this spring would be different. Wrong again. I spent the next 6 hours carefully hunting most of the woods on the place and never saw another hair.

Well, there are worse places to be than in the Kentucky woods in the spring, so I relaxed and enjoyed it. Had an opossum walk right up to my boot, then turn and walk away, making some sort of grumbling sound all the while. One of the larger woods patches has a nice little wet weather stream running right down the middle of it, and I frequently hunt in the stream, it’s quieter and the stream is pretty in places. It was wet enough yesterday that the stream was flowing, and a section where it widens out and stair steps over a series of limestone ledges was picturesque, so I decided to have a photo session. I’ve killed a lot of squirrels right in that spot, in a small grove of hickories up the bank, but they were nowhere to be seen, today.

I was loaded with 70 grains Goex 2F and equal volume of #5 shot, using tow and brown paper as wadding, and the shot was near 25 yards. I think I’m going to like that combination.

Spence

Spence the ticks are real bad here this spring. We have no spring Squirrel season in Wv. :( Looks like you had a good day in the woods. :thumbsup: Larry

This is the first time I've been out since it got warm enough for ticks, so I don't know how they are, here. The weather was weird for opening day, yesterday, temperature was 40°, I hunted with wool gloves and a wool lined denim jacket over a wool shirt and vest. I don't know if the cold weather would keep the ticks down once it has warmed up enough to hatch them.

I use permethrin, and it does an excellent job.

Spence

Sounds like it was a great day to out and about! Great pics and scenery. :hatsoff:

Beautiful place. It would be hard not bring a fishing pole also.Are there any mushrooms to go with that squirrel?

Good job. Looks like a great place to spend a day in the woods.

I'm jealous, we don't have a spring squirrel season in Michigan :(

Great pics and usual topping tale to boot! Congrats on Senor Grey!! :thumbsup:

You sure do have some beautiful country to hunt in Spence! :bow: I would make me a little camp site out there and spend a couple of days just taking it easy and doing some hunting.

Most of my hunting trips pay multiple dividends. Even if I don't collect any game I have the pleasure of spending a day in the field with black powder guns, no small thing. Added to that is the photography, which I've been doing for longer than the BP shooting, and which I like almost as much. If I do collect game, I get all that plus cooking in the old way, photos of that, and then the eating, let's not forget the eating. Amazing how much pleasure an easy-to-please old man can extract from one tough old boar squirrel. :haha:

Spence

Spence:

Thanks for such a great story--and all of your pics are stupendous! Beautiful scenery; and mouth-watering plate of vittles! All of us on this forum appreciate your many abilities!

That inspired me to do the same. Problem is, if shot one of the tree rats around here, 37 blue-haired ladies would run out and beat me senseless! :wink: :rotf:

Latest posts

Back