• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield Model 1795 Barrel Band Spring Repair or Replace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to pickup an original Springfield Model 1795 type 1 recently. The musket is in overall Good condition and everything seems to be functional aside from the front barrel band spring which is broken at the base of the long section. I'd prefer to keep the gun 100% original if the spring can be repaired, but have zero experience trying to weld anything like a spring. Alternatively, I guess I could look for an original replacement part. Just curious what the forum members would suggest regarding the repair or where I might find an original spring?

Springfield Musket type 1.jpg
Springfield Musket type 1_Lock.jpg
Springfield Musket type 1_front spring.jpg

I was fortunate enough to pickup an original Springfield Model 1795 type 1 recently. The musket is in overall Good condition and everything seems to be functional aside from the front barrel band spring which is broken at the base of the long section. I'd prefer to keep the gun 100% original if the spring can be repaired, but have zero experience trying to weld anything like a spring. Alternatively, I guess I could look for an original replacement part. Just curious what the forum members would suggest regarding the repair or where I might find an original spring?

View attachment 312664View attachment 312665View attachment 312666

I’ve made them by hand, not too difficult to do

I saw cut the blank or attach a pin to bolster, the spring body, three are a few ways to do it.

As far as welding a broken band spring, it can be done but you need a very small torch with a #2 tip that produces a small 2-3mm feather. Spot welders work too. You have to heat teh spring to red hot with a propane torch, then start your weld with a very small feather and low oxygen, flux well and use music wire to add filler.

The only problem when you weld any kind of spring, is you’ll never have the same temper, it burns out too much carbon in the process. I heat the spring to red quench in oil and temper it up to 730, it may or may not temper well, it really depends on the nature of the steel.

I’ve got one here I’m fixing soon, I’ll send you pictures

Last edited:
I’ve made them by hand, not too difficult to do

I saw cut the blank or attach a pin to bolster, the spring body, three are a few ways to do it.

As far as welding a broken band spring, it can be done but you need a very small torch with a #2 tip that produces a small 2-3mm feather. Spot welders work too. You have to heat teh spring to red hot with a propane torch, then start your weld with a very small feather and low oxygen, flux well and use music wire to add filler.

The only problem when you weld any kind of spring, is you’ll never have the same temper, it burns out too much carbon in the process. I heat the spring to red quench in oil and temper it up to 730, it may or may not temper well, it really depends on the nature of the steel.

I’ve got one here I’m fixing soon, I’ll send you pictures
I'd love to see the pictures when you are done. The welding you are talking about is probably more technical / precise than anything I've done. What steel do you recommend if I wanted to fabricate something? I'm doubtful I'll find an original part, but let me know if you know of any around.

The rear and middle springs can often be found, per Sam's mention above. The front is usually difficult to locate. I would first try and have the broken spring welded by someone who knows how. After welding, if it's still a bit weak holding the front barrel band, try adding a thin strip(s) of sheet brass under the front end of the spring to slightly raise the front of the spring higher. That's what I did to my 1816.
By the way, congrats on the 1795. Hard to come by that have not been reconverted.

Rick

Last edited:
The rear and middle springs can often be found, per Sam's mention above. The front is usually difficult to locate. I would first try and have the broken spring welded by someone who knows how. After welding, if it's still a bit weak holding the front barrel band, try adding a thin strip(s) of sheet brass under the front end of the spring to slightly raise the front of the spring higher. That's what I did to my 1816.
By the way, congrats on the 1795. Hard to come by that have not been reconverted.

Rick
Thanks for that idea Rick. The musket came out of the George Moller collection.

Back