• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spruce Beer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have brewed all kinds of beers in the past. I went from a size 36 to a 44 waist as well. :shocked2:

Anyways, I had a co-worker who made spruce beer. Basically he too fresh spruce tips in the spring and added them to the wort. The thing is, it seems that this stuff needs to sit in the bottles for a solid year or more to age properly.

Whats the body like? What style was use in making the wort and ferment?

I'm studying brewing and plan on getting a certificate in brewing from UC Davis.

Studying early beer in America in hopes that some day I'll have a camp set up showing early brewing history.

the book: the new complete joy of home brewing by charlie papazian list several recipies that use spruce as a flavoring to different types of spruce brew. AVON BOOKS. any brewers supply outlet should carry the book. hope this helps. :)

Here is a period recipe for a spruce beer.

Take 7 Pounds of good spruce & boil it well till the bark peels off, then take the spruce out & put three Gallons of Molasses to the Liquor & and boil it again, scum it well as it boils, then take it out the kettle & put it into a cooler, boil the remained of the water sufficient for a Barrel of thirty Gallons, if the kettle is not large enough to boil it together, when milkwarm in the Cooler put a pint of Yest into it and mix well. Then put it into a Barrel and let it work for two or three days, keep filling it up as it works out. When done working, bung it up with a Tent Peg in the Barrel to give it vent every now and then. It may be used in up to two or three days after. If wanted to be bottled it should stand a fortnight in the Cask. It will keep a great while.
Source: Journal of General Jeffrey Amherst, Governor-General of British North America

Note that this beer did not use any form of barley malt and was composed entirely of molasses with spruce added for flavor.

If you want to get into period brewing, take a look at Raudins Publishing. They have a couple of brewing books dating to the 1760's
[url] http://www.raudins.com/BrewBooks/[/url]

Here is a link to the pub a couple of us do at some of our Rev-War events.

http://64.41.64.113/tavern/

I hope to have a small(3 Gallon) period style system set up by the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to get started on trapping era to plains era brewing. Looking up early brewing in the west. My next long weekend is going to be at the Anchor brewery for a tour and history dive. Although the coastal areas may have had brewing earlier than the rockies, I'm hopeing to find some small outfits that pushed inland.

I have your site book marked and will be looking back to see it grow :hatsoff:

Back