• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Square Patches for .32 cal??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut one at the muzzle,shoot the load,find the patch and make the precuts a bit bigger all the way around.

I cut mine a little large to use with my 36 also.Mine are 1" sq.

My only complaint if they get too large is a tendency to grab the jag as you retract the ramrod. Not a problem if you remember to fold over the excess before seating the ball down onto the charge.

square patches for a 32 , what I use is blue stripe pillow ticking , I cut them 3/4 by 3/4 of a inch :thumbsup:

Square patches work just fine. I like to cut mine so that they wrap almost 3/4 the way around the ball. If you make them much shorter, they may not engatge the lands and grooves of the bore properly. If you cut them much longer, they will tend to get caught on the jag on your rammer. You need to cover all of the ball that will be touching the bore but leave a spot on top of the ball that is uncovered. For example, for a .50 cal rifle, I like a patch that is about one and one quarter inches square. :thumbsup:

So when CVA patch packages say "do not use these patches with any other caliber rifle," they only mean larger than the specified caliber? I was like, "Why can't I use these .50 patches for .45? Am I right in assuming I can?

If we were talking about round patches, a .32 caliber shooting a .315 diameter bullet would use a .810 diameter patch.

As this size would be flush with the muzzle when the ball was pushed down into the barrel until its top was flush with the muzzle it has a bit more material than is really needed for assuring that there is material between the ball and the bore.
That minimum size would be .494 diameter.

Now that I've clouded the issue, a 3/4 X 3/4 square patch should work just fine. :grin:

Latest posts

Back