• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirler down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
finally got to shot my first squirrel today. Only seen one and hammered him, sneaked to the tree he was in because i heard him barking and shot him holding my gun almost straight up. The funny thing was that i shoot 30 grains of fff and the bullet went through the squirrels belly and lodged on his back and did not break the skin , he just had a lump on his back. I did surgery to recover the projectile and here are some pictures of the lump.
DSC_7670.jpg

DSC_7667.jpg

Fox Squirrels are tough critters. I shot my first squirrel with 40gr of 3F under a .350 ball. It was a body shot at 35 yds. It just passed through the squirrels back and out his stomach. No explosions or sparks that blew the squirrel in half.

I'm not so sure a gray squirrel or some of those tinier western squirrels would hold up as well.

Ya might need just a tad more propellent next time out. :idunno:
Dusty :wink:

Dug many a 22 and airgun pell but that must of hurt stopping that large ball like that.

Say, what would the proportional size of a ball be to us?

Nice shot. :thumbsup:

Brits :hatsoff:

Wow, that's surprising to me - I only use 25 grains of 3f in my .40 for squirrels, and I usually blow 'em apart with that.

In fact, seeing how devastating the .40 was on small game was what convinced me to try it on whitetail deer (it worked fine).

Anyway, sure is a pretty rifle, thanks for the pic. Our spring squirrel season opens next Saturday, and I'm ready to go. :thumbsup:

:hatsoff:
Spot

I shoot a .375 in my .40. But a .390 or.395 is standard size. I picked my Lyman mold up at the Flea Market for 15.00,too good to pass on. I used a .20patch and 40grs of 3f. 4 shots and 3 groundhogs. The first hog was my first shot with the gun and I didn't hold fine enough, got the second shot. :thumbsup: Dilly

Back