• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a .36 flintlock.... I know this sounds funny. But ball diameter difference was the deciding factor.. for handling! I have a hard time with .310 round balls.... .350, not as much trouble for me. YMMV
Good luck!
I understand this perfectly. It was one of my reasons for choosing the 40 cal......Old, worn out hands!

My vote is for a 36, which is what I use and love.
Those sized balls are already difficult to load with cold hands, so I don't think I'd want to go any smaller.

i bought my .32 off of a friend off this forumn i used 15 grains of pyrodex p .015 patch .310 ball about every 5 to 6 shots id wipe i took 4 limits this year im out of squirrel no90w and our season ends in Febuary

Any of the calibers will work, squirrel does not know what killed him. To me, it's more about the rifle.

Where I hunt a 42" barrel will not work too much undergrowth in the woods.

Gotcha fellas. So my next goal is finding a place to fondle a couple! And with luck, at a gun store that would consider modern trades. I’ve all but lost all interests in many of my moderns.

I have shot both .32 and .36 calibers in short Half Stock Rifles. There was no more fouling than on a bigger bore. I recently acquired a .40 cal Long Rifle with about a 40-inch barrel. I have never seen my cleaning patches dirtier than with this gun. My theory is that the smaller diameter bore coupled with the longer barrel creates a greater area for fouling to remain.

In my opinion, the .36 has better ballistics than the .32.

"My theory is that the smaller diameter bore coupled with the longer barrel creates a greater area for fouling to remain."

Makes sense.

Well, my deer season has been a complete dud this year again, and prior years. We moved to an area where the deer populations on the public land within a reasonable drive from home is quite pathetic, so I’m starting to think about adding squirrel hunting to my annual routine. I definitely see more squirrel than deer, which isn’t difficult to say, given that I’ve only seen one deer this entire season (and I hunt archery through late muzzleloader seasons).

Thinking about flintlocks, I see guys talking about .32, .36, and .40 caliber rifles for squirrels. Thoughts on these three for walking or sitting in the woods and going after squirrel?
My buddy and I just hunted with our .45 cal. flintlocks. We discovered that you have to head shoot em with even .32 or .36 cal. or it will blow em in half so might as well just use what you deer hunt with.
Macon Due

Using a .45 for squirrels is a meat waster. .45 can,t be reasonably throttled back enough to get below a level where tissue vaporization won.t occur. .32 and .36 don.t reach the mass/velocity level to ruin meat. There are two levels at which a .40 can be loaded. The lower level doesn't cause tissue vaporization , the upper one does. Hey , if all you have in mind is to kill squirrels and not eat them , .45 is ok except for one issue , that being launching a 130 grains of lead off into the air w/o knowing where it will end up.

Last edited by a moderator:
"My buddy and I just hunted with our .45 cal. flintlocks. We discovered that you have to head shoot em with even .32 or .36 cal. or it will blow em in half so might as well just use what you deer hunt with.
Macon Due "

From a safety stand point that is not true.

Using a throttled back .32 or .36, when you miss, the ball will not go near as far as a ball from what you deer hunt with.

Actually a shotgun makes more sense to squirrel hunt with.

Ok, if a guy wanted to acquire a 32 cal “squirrel” rifle, what would be the best avenue to pursue....Traditions Crockett, Dixie Cub, or Pedersoli Scout?

Well, my deer season has been a complete dud this year again, and prior years. We moved to an area where the deer populations on the public land within a reasonable drive from home is quite pathetic, so I’m starting to think about adding squirrel hunting to my annual routine. I definitely see more squirrel than deer, which isn’t difficult to say, given that I’ve only seen one deer this entire season (and I hunt archery through late muzzleloader seasons).

Thinking about flintlocks, I see guys talking about .32, .36, and .40 caliber rifles for squirrels. Thoughts on these three for walking or sitting in the woods and going after squirrel?

My perfect small game gun would be 32 cal. with a faster twist than is available as standard now. Most all are 1:48, too slow to allow loading down to lower velocity while maintaining excellent accuracy. If I get much below 18 gr with mine, groups start to open a bit.

I load my 36s with 20 grains of Swiss 3F and the 32s with 15 grains of Goex 3F. I like to eat squirrels and always shoot for the head. Don't always shoot a limit but I kill enough to have them when I want. Both loads are good out to about 40 yards and that is as far as I shoot them with open sights.

Thanks guys. So lots here recommending the .32 and .36. I have noticed fouling complaints with the .32, but not so much with other calibers.

I was also seeing a few posts about the .40 being reasonable for squirrels.

Since I already have a nice .54 for deer, this next smaller caliber would be just for squirrels and maybe rabbits—no double duty for deer.

I sure wish I had opportunities to lay hands on these other guns. There really isn’t much in black powder gun sales around me. I may have to just buy one on this forum, or order a custom build or kit. If I ordered one, I guess I’d lean towards a .36 just because it’s in the middle of these smaller calibers. But that’s with zero experience...

You'll NEVER regret getting a .36. They are great!

.32 dixie mountain rifle here light loads, shot placement head or through the ribs. Now if your looking for a tail for your hat or fly tying go .62

I used to hunt quite a few squirrels with the 32. Excellent caliber and the RB drops them out of the trees better than a 22lr. Head shots preferred, but a body shot with 20 grains of fffg wasn't too bad, when necessary. Never took it coyote calling, but would pull the trigger on one if it were close enough. I may have to give that a go sometime soon.

Back