• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel hide shot pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please tell us what you do to the hide to keep hair from falling out. I know nothing about tanning but would like to learn.
This was a first for me trying a squirrel so I’m hoping it works well and the hair won’t slip. I salted the hide and folded it up until I got a chance to work on it. Washed it with soap and water and scraped all the meat bits off the hide (fleshing).After fleshing the hide, I rubbed egg yolks on the hide avoiding fur. Stretched out the hide with tacks and left yolks on for about 24 hours. Then washed hide and tacked until dry before breaking up fibers by stretching to soften. Then made a small fire and hung outstretched hide over the smoke for a couple hours. There’s probably a better/correct way of doing it, I’m no expert for sure.

Back