• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Hunting Attire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really like those Capotes! Did you make them yourself?

Probably a dumb question since you live in MN, but how warm are they vs modern hunting jackets. I'm up in Central New England and it can be bitter cold up here late season...
The Capotes were made by NW Traders.

http://www.nwtrader.com/

The orange one was a special as that is not a color you will find in their offerings. But, they were very easy to work with and had the blanket made up special so they could make the Capote. I had talked to several other capote makers who refused to make an orange one since that was not a traditional color. Well, back then they didn't have hunter orange laws either, but if they didn't want my money I was happy to spend it elsewhere. That orange one is also heavier than the grey one as late season muzzleloader here can be well below zero, especially with wind chill.

I many times hunt in below 0F temps as most of my small game is done in Jan & Feb when the woods are empty of other hunters. I wear merino wool underwear and socks, a pair of wool drop front trousers, a wool shirt, and wool glomits. My Steger Mocs with wool felt liners on my feet and a merino wool hat my wife knit. The capotes top it all off.

Since I have gone to wool I haven't gone back to "modern" materials. A note that I'm kinda cold blooded too. Not one of those guys you see in winter in a tshirt! Wool, to me, is much warmer than modern materials and if you sweat some or otherwise get wet, it keeps you warm.

I used to really camouflage myself. I found it doesn’t really matter unless your trying to avoid people. Nowadays I just go in what I don’t mind getting blood on.
Interesting. I’ve found just the opposite if I’m going to be moving at all. Sitting really doesn’t matter that much.

It’s camo for me because I’m big on putting the sneak on them and getting in close. Due to old deficient vision, getting close is about the only way I can kill them. 😁

The Capotes were made by NW Traders.

http://www.nwtrader.com/

The orange one was a special as that is not a color you will find in their offerings. But, they were very easy to work with and had the blanket made up special so they could make the Capote. I had talked to several other capote makers who refused to make an orange one since that was not a traditional color. Well, back then they didn't have hunter orange laws either, but if they didn't want my money I was happy to spend it elsewhere. That orange one is also heavier than the grey one as late season muzzleloader here can be well below zero, especially with wind chill.

I many times hunt in below 0F temps as most of my small game is done in Jan & Feb when the woods are empty of other hunters. I wear merino wool underwear and socks, a pair of wool drop front trousers, a wool shirt, and wool glomits. My Steger Mocs with wool felt liners on my feet and a merino wool hat my wife knit. The capotes top it all off.

Since I have gone to wool I haven't gone back to "modern" materials. A note that I'm kinda cold blooded too. Not one of those guys you see in winter in a tshirt! Wool, to me, is much warmer than modern materials and if you sweat some or otherwise get wet, it keeps you warm.
Thank you for the information and link. I may be looking into this soon. They sure do look warm and cozy

Having hunted squirrels in Kentucky, Maryland, and Arizona, the squirrels in those places don't seem to care what you wear and they see you anyway. I always had better luck with them just wearing some kind of subdued in color clothing.

Having hunted squirrels in Kentucky, Maryland, and Arizona, the squirrels in those places don't seem to care what you wear and they see you anyway. I always had better luck with them just wearing some kind of subdued in color clothing.
That’s the trick. You have to make it to where they don’t see you. The vast majority of squirrels I kill never see me. Many of which of which I slowly snuck up on.

Some squirrels don’t spook quite so easily, especially if they are young and have never been exposed to humans. However, many are extremely spooky and will be outta there as soon as they see someone.

I just went through this again yesterday. I was way back in the hills far away from anything. I’m sure nobody has hunted back in there considering I had to get there by boat and it was an uphill walk. I was moving along more/less at little faster pace due to scouting and not finding any hickory trees Nor squirrels. What few squirrels I saw, about 3 of them also saw me and they were outta of there like a bolt of lightning.

If you truly want to put the sneak on some squirrels and get in there close, moving at a snails pace and wearing camo helps a lot IMO.

Also, some research suggests that squirrels can pick out tan and blue at a minimum.

Last edited:
. For a camo.. you can go traditional normal clothes no..

Dress like the game warden colors.. brown pants green shirt nice hat...

Did they have brown pants and green shirts back then... 🤔
They could make any color under the sun with natural dyes, including purple, pea green, and pink!
Take your pick

You know I think it was black and white TV movie examples of the past or something.

. For a camo.. you can go traditional normal clothes no..

Dress like the game warden colors.. brown pants green shirt nice hat...

Did they have brown pants and green shirts back then... 🤔
You were brown pants in PA during FA deer season, you are probably getting shot.

Pink I think would be the safest color out there..

Kinda why I let my daughter get all pink and pink camo anything she wants.. and with orange vest and hat..

I was going to get the orange backpack for her the cabelas one I think.

Pink I think would be the safest color out there..

Kinda why I let my daughter get all pink and pink camo anything she wants.. and with orange vest and hat..

I was going to get the orange backpack for her the cabelas one I think.
Trigger, are you talking about squirrel hunting attire or during a FA season?

Albeit some states require hunters orange for any kind of FA season, even for squirrel hunting. However, some do not. I’m thankful that KY does not require that God awful hunters orange during squirrel season here unless there’s a FA deer season in progress.

If you are interested in your daughter wearing camo but still want her to be more visible, they make hunters orange camo. It’s not legal to wear here for some stupid reason, but it works well. I have use hunters orange camo in some other states.

I do not know how well a squirrel can see hunters orange if one is on the go, but when being stationary, I have had squirrels get with just a very few feet of me and never knew I was there.

One word of caution and is the reason I post this is due to personal experience. Some of us out there have a somewhat color vision deficiency. Mine just happens to be in certain shades of red/green. As a result, pink can and often does vaporize in the woods during certain times of the year.

As much as I hate wearing hunters orange, the stuff works. The only downside to it is, or can be, is during certain times of the fall, the leaves turn yellow and orange before they fall from lower hanging brush and saplings. In other words, hunters orange blends in quite nicely during those times.

Last edited:
Trigger, are you talking about squirrel hunting attire or during a FA season?

Albeit some states require hunters orange for any kind of FA season, even for squirrel hunting. However, some do not. I’m thankful that KY does not require that God awful hunters orange during squirrel season here unless there’s a FA deer season in progress.

If you are interested in your daughter wearing camo but still want her to be more visible, they make hunters orange camo. It’s not legal to wear here for some stupid reason, but it works well. I have use hunters orange camo in some other states.

I do not know how well a squirrel can see hunters orange if one is on the go, but when being stationary, I have had squirrels get with just a very few feet of me and never knew I was there.

One word of caution and is the reason I post this is due to personal experience. Some of us out there have a somewhat color vision deficiency. Mine just happens to be in certain shades of red/green. As a result, pink can and often does vaporize in the woods during certain times of the year.

As much as I hate wearing hunters orange, the stuff works. The only downside to it is, or can be, is during certain times of the fall, the leaves turn yellow and orange before they fall from lower hanging brush and saplings. In other words, hunters orange blends in quite nicely during those times.

Is not required for squirrel. I had her wear the orange hat though.

I gave her an extra dog whistle also.

Back