• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel hunting how to's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spence, Back when I lived in Georgia and hunted squirrels, I usually found them in areas where pines and hardwoods came together. I killed quite a few, though not as many as grays. I finally had a nice fox squirrel mounted which is keeping watch at my house. I saw, I think, about every variation of color. There were the typical "fox" colored ones, all black, all white (not albinos), and an interesting rarity, silver ones. There seemed to be large populations miles from any corn cultivation. Since moving to Va I haven't even seen one.

Early in the fall, the squirrels like Dogwood berries, and then Hickory Nuts, and the White Oak Nuts, corn, soybeans and about any other nut or berry. They bury a lot of nuts, for winter. I think only the Fox squirrels, can crack walnuts. I used to see the Fox squirrels along the edge of fields and around the walnut trees, more than the grays.

Squirrels are pretty vocal and do a lot of chattering, especially when they sense danger.

There is nothing more relaxing, than sitting in the squirrel woods and nothing better than squirrel gravy and biscuits.

hadden west said:
I think only the Fox squirrels, can crack walnuts. I used to see the Fox squirrels along the edge of fields and around the walnut trees, more than the grays.
I have more than 30 walnut trees in my yard, and I can assure you gray squirrels can open them without a problem. Hickory nuts, too.

Fox squirrels spend a lot more time on the ground than grays, and they love fence rows, edges of woods and small woods lots. Grays like larger woods more.

I've always found fox squirrels much more relaxed, less spooky than grays, which can be pretty twitchy. I remember a morning hunting along a small dry stream when I heard the unmistakable sound of squirrel toenails on bark, close at hand on my right. I whirled and shouldered my gun, expecting to see a squirrel scampering away. Instead, I saw a beautiful big fox squirrel in a small tree 12 feet away, and it had perched on a stub of limb pointing straight at my head. It stared at me for a bit, then began busily grooming. Amazed, I watched, gun to shoulder, frozen in place, thinking I would wait until it left and got far enough away not to be mincemeat at the shot. It casually groomed for what seemed a long time, the sun behind it and flaring through that pretty orange hair. After what seemed a long time the 8-lb. gun got to feeling like 16, so I slowly lowered it, expecting that to finally spook it. No such thing, it just stopped grooming and stared at me until the gun was down and settled, then went back to grooming. It finally finished, must have been at least 2-3 minutes, and went to the ground, in no hurry, got into the bed of the little stream and began puttering away. I followed with the muzzle, but by the time it got to a good range I realized I had been seduced by its calm, matter of fact attitude, and I let it go. Twitchy they ain't. Zen squirrels is a good description.

Spence

Spence, Thanks for recounting that story. I'm going to be smiling about the image of the 'zen squirrel' for a long time. :hatsoff:

I haven't hunted for a long time but I love reading the accounts in this section.

Jeff

Squirrels don't mix. Robbins don't mix with cardinals or mocking birds, elk don't mix with deer. If they did mix there would just be squirrels, birds or deer now after millions of years.

Mules are hybrids and don't reproduce....so won't endure.

I guess we're all "so called squirrel experts" but the thought struck me that no response has been offered as to a reason why the fox squirrel populations greatly fluctuate in the northern areas w/ it's harsh winters that I hunt.. Other areas of the country w/ warmer winters or hardly any winter weather at all are more conducive to fox squirrel survival.....so can't be compared

W/in the areas I hunt, fox squirrels are only found in agricultural areas...never saw one in heavily forested areas w/o any farms. Sitting 20 yds inside the woods alongside standing corn is the most productive.

Also made an observation that I have never seen a fox squirrel build a nut nest...only grays.

I think that the points of contention are caused by a difference in habitat in different parts of the country. Southern climes offer a greater chance of survival for fox squirrels even though they may or may not store food...can't speak for any other areas that I'm not familiar w/ and others should do likewise. A "broad brush" isn't logical....and generalities aren't either.

Have hunted squirrels for 72 yrs only in northern Wisconsin and have discussed my observations in detail which pertain only to the areas I've hunted...Fred

Of course step one is to find an accurate load for your gun and practice enough with it that you can hit the bottom of a soda can at 25 yards with every shot. Then, you and the rifle are ready. Even better is if you can hit a target the size of a green walnut with every shot. A green walnut is about the size of a squirrel's head.

Spend some time scouting the woods that you plan to hunt looking for "cuttings". No need to bother hunting woods where you don't find any squirrel sign. Keep in mind that the various things that squirrels eat will come into season at different times. This means that they will move from place to place as the different things come into season. They also need water so along a creek can be pretty productive. Also keep in mind that one of the richest places to hunt is just inside the woods next to a corn field. Those little suckers absolutely love corn. Like any game animal, the best times to hunt are early in the morning just at daybreak and late in the evening. Those are their feeding times. They tend to be less active during the middle of the day.

Once you have your hunting spot picked out, you need to know how to hunt the area. The technique that has worked best for me is to find a spot where you have reason to believe you will see some squirrels and sit quietly watching and listening. Sit as still as you can and avoid smoking. Be patient. Plan to sit in any one place for about 30 minutes. If you don't see any squirrels in that length of time, move on to a new location. It is move and sit, move and sit. If you have scouted carefully and know squirrels are in the area, you will get your shots and then it is up to you.

I have tried various squirrel calls and I have given up on all but one. I have found that using two poker chips will often bring a squirrel to you. You need two poker chips that have the ridges around the top and bottom of the chips. To use them, simply rub them together to make a sound like a squirrel cutting on nuts. It's a good idea to also carry some corn in your pocket to toss a few kernals on the ground to sound like cuttings falling to the ground. Squirrels tend to be territorial and if they hear another squirrel eating their nuts, they will come running to chase off the intruder. Like any call, it doesn't always work but it has been the best one that I have found. If you have spent any time hunting squirrels, you know the sound of a squirrel cutting on nuts so that is the sound you that want to imitate.

I enjoyed your squirrel story, Spence. I, too, have found the fox squirrels to be less "tightly wound" than the gray squirrels. Like you, I have had fox squirrels come up too near me to shoot them. Once, while deer hunting, I had a fox squirrel scampering around in the same tree that my stand was on. I had looked up a couple of times and saw him well up above me. Then I went back to paying attention to watching for deer. Suddenly, the little rascal jumped into the stand with me. He startled me and I jumped and he made a mad scramble to get out of the stand. I don't know who was the most startled but I know it was memorable for both of us.

On another occasion, I was sitting in my deer stand and there were two fox squirrels playing chase on the tree next to mine. They were oblivious of me and were chasing each other round and round and up and down the tree. L:aaying on the ground just in front of my stand was a small dead tree with a fork in it. It was laying on its side with one fork on the ground and the other sticking in the air just above it. Suddenly, the two squirrels left the tree that they had been playing chase in and ran across the ground, one chasing the other. they ran up the trunk of the dead tree and when they came to the fork, one took the lower limb and the other took the upper limb. The one on the upper limb suddenly jumped down on the one on the limb below him. That is when the fun turned into a fight. It was one heck of a fight with all sorts of squalls and noise. The sun was behind them and I could see all of the hair floating in the air. it was hilarious. Just as suddenly as the fight had started it was over. One squirrel went one way and the other went another. Just another bit of entertainment that only a hunter gets to see.

Yeah, the grays stay on the move all the time. I seldom see one standing still for more than a few seconds. But, the fox squirrels seem to be the "cool dudes" of the squirrel world.

Deer hunting is all work! Get up early, prepare, prepare, prepare, drive, drive, hurry, hurry, tons of equipment to lug around...
Then if you shoot one...Work, work, work, heavy lifting, lots of sweat...

Squirrel hunting...
Walk into woods, sit down, drink some coffee, shoot a squirrel, put in bag, take a little stroll, shoot another squirrel, place in bag, sit down and have a snack, take a nap against an old oak tree, wake up and shoot squirrel barking at your snoring....put squirrel in bag and go home......Wonderful day! :grin:

Ya know, Clyde, once again I have to agree with you. :hatsoff: I do enjoy deer hunting but my preference is squirrel hunting just for the reasons you posted....more shots, less work. :thumbsup:

Back