• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel hunting safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you squirrel...

When I was deployed to Iraq as a combat medic...we fairly often saw indiginous people with bullet wounds from falling bullets. The gun is a very symbolic item in Iraq and yes they fire them into the sky...for many reasons. However what goes up, eventually comes down. I would hate to be on the recieving end of any caliber round ball as it fell from the sky.... while it my not have a high likely hood of happening . I for one wouldnt want to risk it...that balls gonna land somewhere

I have a few .32's that I use. In NJ largest you can use is a .36. I use 15gr of fff. I first went out and used 30gr and found it ruined a lot of squirrels.

In my experience, a hit in the ribs with ANY rifle is DEADLY & spoils LITTLE edible meat.

YEP, I cook/eat squirrel heads in stew, as most of us "hillbillies" do.
(Before "knocking it", try it.)

yours, satx

MosinRob said:
I have a few .32's that I use. In NJ largest you can use is a .36. I use 15gr of fff. I first went out and used 30gr and found it ruined a lot of squirrels.

I generally use a .45 loaded with 55 grains of 3fff the same load I use for deer and I don't ever remember ruining any squirrels....but we do have some mighty big squirrels.

EXACTLY. - That's WHY our family doesn't allow anyone to hunt squirrels on our farm with anything but a shotgun. = TOO MANY neighbors within a half mile.

just my OPINION, satx

I am going to once again reveal my ignorance but anyway....I like everyone else has been told to never shoot into the sky, the falling bullet could kill someone. Okay, although I do hunt squirrels with a small caliber rifle way out in a national forest.
Here's what has always puzzled me. I am told there is such a thing as maximum velocity from gravitation, jump out an airplane and spread eagle and the wind will slow you down to a maximum speed of 200 miles per hour (or something like that) so...I get thinking about a lead bullet, once it slows down and starts falling, is the forward speed what kills some one or the speed the bullet is dropping from gravitation?

Either gravity or "forward speed" CAN injure or kill an unsuspecting person. = During the 1984 Olympic Games, an "attendee" of the games from Germany was SEVERELY wounded when a .30-06 bullet struck him in the left side of top of his skull.

According to the investigator of the LASD, the injured man was hit by a bullet that was "fired up into the air from about a mile away", according to "the plotted trajectory" of the bullet.

yours, satx

Back