• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to go squirrel with my muzzleloader and I just wanting advice minds a 50 so I'm wanting to reduced my load im goin to start with 25 grains and work my way up. I heard that I could use a 40 cal round ball and patch it with leather anybody used this? Thanks

If your state allows small game hunting with a 50 cal and you can get it to shoot well at the lower charges you will be ok. Myself, I think a smaller caliber would be better.

Started squirrel hunting w/ a .50 TC Hawken and used it until the .45 was done. The load was 50 grs 2f....way too big a load, but it was extremely accurate and took the heads off many squirrels.

My hunting buddy always said that I had a big advantage using a .50 instead of a .22 which he used. A close miss w/ the much smaller .22 would be a hit w/ the larger .490 ball. He was probably right.

Adapting a .40 cal. ball to a .50 bore w/ a much thicker patch might work, but the accuracy would have to be proven. .....Fred

The squirrel doesn't care about the caliber. Just keep your shots in the front end. Is really is just that simple.

Ft. Jefferson said:
The squirrel doesn't care about the caliber. Just keep your shots in the front end. Is really is just that simple.
Amen...just a miniature sized deer...no need to over-think it.

Smaller calibers are better for small game than larger calibers although they, too, can be made to work okay. The .32 is custom made for squirrels and unless loaded way up are comparable to using a .22LR. If loaded heavy the .32 is capable of much more than a .22LR.

Tenngun, I have never heard a squirrel bark, but I have had a few of them curse at me, LOL. I have only shot one squirrel with my .50 cal. I was sitting in a tree stand, in a white oak grove, waiting on the deer to arrive when he found me. I'm not sure of the translation, but I believe he called me everything but a white man, and would not quit. He eventually made it over to the tree I was in and stood on a limb at eye level, continuing his tirade. By this time, I had enjoyed about all of this that I could stand, and swung the barrel around to be in line with him. This enraged him even more, so the next time he opened his mouth, I sent a .50 caliber round ball through it. I think I saw it exit through the tip of his tail. BTW, there was not enough of him left to pick up........Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
tried a 50 lyman trade gun, they just laughted, that is until I got a 75 cal brown bess. now they just cry when family members get in range.

I shot my 50 cal today using .440 diameter balls
20 grains of powder
A leather patch
At 20 yards all 3 shots touched
my 4th and final shot was at a 12 inch gong at 75 yards.....rang like a bell.
More than one way to skin a squirrel.

Back