• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel - It's what's for dinner!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren Haverstick said:
I have killed a train car load of squirrels in my time and only one or two of them had a warble in them.

The biggest problem I have with killing squirrels this time of year is it seems I kill a lot more old males which are rather tough and need to be pressure cooked. Many years ago, a good friend of mine suggested that I should "bark" a squirrel before shooting it. That's where you put your ear to the bark of the tree and if you can hear that squirrel's male parts dragging on the limb then you know not to shoot him. :grin:

Darren
:rotf: I can see it now, hunters, gun in hand, all with one ear firmly pressed to a tree :rotf:

B. :rotf:

Well I butted a tree rat one time. I had a Seneca .36 and was setting under an oak tree. Had a bad shot at one in a tree behind me. Off on my left side was a hickory tree. Well I bent around the oak shot and to no great surpise I missed. Around he went to the other side, and a started reloading. Then the little fella came down the tree and made a run to the hickory on my other side. He ran right in front of me and I was able to swing the butt and hit him in the head. It stunned him enough that I could hit a well laid on head blow and killed it.

Darren Haverstick said:
That's where you put your ear to the bark of the tree and if you can hear that squirrel's male parts dragging on the limb then you know not to shoot him. :grin:

Darren

:hmm: I'd think a squirrel having THAT particular problem would want to be put out of his misery. :rotf:

:hmm: I'd think a squirrel having THAT particular problem would want to be put out of his misery. :rotf:

When I lived in Florida, a squirrel I had trained to come when I called his name had "boys" so big they bounced on the rail of the fence as he ran. I envied him, LMAO.......robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job Darren. Your post reminded me that the Kansas season opens today. I'm going to have to dig out the 32 or 36. Is it unsporting to shoot the three, 3/4 grown ones who come to the bird feeder on our deck. I don't suppose it would be a good idea to touch the flinter off in the living room and shoot out the patio door.

Spring squirrel season is something I've never had the priviledge to do but sounds good. Like hunting them in the fall. As for hearing their parts rubbing them days are long gone. Guess I would just have to shoot whatever came my way. :haha: Dan.

I don't shoot them off the bird feeders either, Jake, with a gun anyway. I am afraid I would tear up the feeders. However, I have been known to slide the door open real quiet like and take a shot or two at them from the living room with my longbow.

Darren

Reminds me of a pet squirrel I had many, many years ago. A really cute and affectionate little guy. I eventually felt guilty keeping him away from his kind. So one day I took him outside and let him go; he was reluctant to leave. The next day I went outside and he came running and hopped up on my shoulder. On the third day he was gone. I still wonder if I did the right thing and whether he was safe.

Back