• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOw much powder do you use to get the little buggers?

I'm not an authority on the subject, but caliber and ball weight would figure into the decision...and if you only go for head shots, then even they don't much matter.

I just shot my first flintlock squirrel yesterday, and can tell that this summer I decided on and practiced with 40grns Goex FFFg in a .45cal flinter, so it would have a little extra punch for the occasional deer that might surprise me while squirrel hunting.

My educated guess is that strictly for squirrels, 30grns in my .45cal would also do just as good.

It depends a little on the cal. and what the gun likes. In my 32 I use 30gr. my 38 likes 40gr. and my 40 like 40gr. all with 3F Goex. With 3f Swiss I use 20gr. in the 32, 25gr. in the 38 and 25 in the 40. My 38 has taken well over 125 squirrels in the past 7 yrs. Lately I have been using the 32 but mostly the 40. I kind of retired the very old 38.

The .32 caliber T/C System 1 does great with 10 gr. of Pyrodex P and .310 Hornady RB with .010 pre-lubed Wonder Patch. Duplicates .22RF muzzle velocities. 15 gr. of Pyro-P works good too but is unnecessarily powerful. For me, squirrel hunting ranges are mostly inside 30 yards.

In the .36 Seneca, 15 gr. of Pyrodex P with .350 Hornady RB and .010 Wonder Patch does well, but the .36 is bigger than needed.

The .32 is the best medicine for squirrels.
Bob

70gr of 3f with 1 1/4 ounce of #4 and #6 shot mixed in a 20gauge smoothie gets them out of the tops of those pesky hick'rys!

muzzman,
i use 25gr 3fff goex in my .32 1/60twist percussion
with great succses. .15 patch with moose snot lube. :imo: :results:
HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

My .32 flinter likes 30gr 3FFF. Head shots wield more meat. Unlike some of our southern brothers, I don't eat the brains. :no: :no: :haha:

Hi Muzzman, I have a pedersoli / Cabelas blue ridge .36 cal. flintlock. For squirrel and cottontails I use 20 grains of 3f, prime w/ the same.

Sight your gun in at 25 yards dead on the mark,most your shots will be around that range an sum at tree top level.To my eyes a skwerl at much more than 35 yards is getting to be a very small target and a 36 ball shot threw a skwerl has about the same equvelent of a white tail being shot with a 9lb cannon ball.Instant death,sum times they wont even fall out of the tree,just fold on the spot.I use 20gr of 3f and a thick pillow ticklen patch with my skwerl juice for lube.I aint seen a 36 ball stay in one yet. :m2c:

My .32 flinter likes 30gr 3FFF. Head shots wield more meat. Unlike some of our southern brothers, I don't eat the brains. :no: :no: :haha:

:bull: :imo:

While I've heard of folks eating squirrel brains, I've never met anyone who does. Crawfish brains are another matter entirly; go to a crawfish boil in Louisiana and there'll be lots of head-suc.... :shocking::shocking::shocking:

Okay, I'm trying to write this with out being vulgar but, in Louisiana, it's just what the call eating crawfish brains - "sucking the heads" :sorry:

When I was a shootin squirrels with my .32 caliber Cherokee, I used 25 grains of FFFg with a .012 patch lubes with wonderlube and a .315 round ball...

They didn't know what hit them...

Okay, I'm trying to write this with out being vulgar but, in Louisiana, it's just what the call eating crawfish brains - "sucking the heads"

OK, but how many brains a crawdad got to begin with? That's more meat than brains up in the carapace - like in a football center's or NASCAR fan's head. ::

I shoot a .31 bedford with a 44" Bill Large bbl. and for squirrel hunting,I use 7gr. of Swiss,it is very accurate and deadly,and I can shoot all day and never have to clean between shots. Most of my shooting is 30 yds. or less. My wife came from central Mo. and when she was a youngin at home, squirrel brains was at the top of the food list.

OK, but how many brains a crawdad got to begin with?
Not much, not much at all... That's probably why they swim backwards ::

That's more meat than brains up in the carapace - like in a football center's or NASCAR fan's head. ::

Not being an expert on cranial matter, I would think it takes MORE brains to swim backwards than to watch cars driving around in a circle... of course, I could be wrong :hmm:

In a .54 caliber 40 grains of 3F and 55 grains of 2F works well. The good thing about a .54 and head shots is you can still miss a little and get yer skwerl.

I never cared for the brains but the jaw meat is good. I've also known some of the old folks who would skin a catfish head and eat that also.

Latest posts

Back