• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel opened today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juancho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a great start of the season with my limit in less than two hours.
This is by far my favorite gun. Since I made it over two years ago, I took 36 squirrels so far , and 4 grouse. I'm still waiting to get a deer with it yet.
For those that want to know, is a .45 GM swamp barrel 44inch long . My load is 23grains 3f and PRB or 40 grains 3f and 40 grains (by volume) #5 shot.
Yes , is a rifled barrel. It works perfect with shot.I explained a long time ago how I do it, and these 4 out of 5 did not have anything to say, the other one got a PRB in the head.

All of them black! I have taken 2 in the last 48 years. Good looking rifle as well. Thanks for sharing,Dan.

wattlebuster said:
Congrats. I have never seen a black squirrel in all my yrs hunting :idunno:

Me niether, they must be common up there in his parts of Canada to get 5 of them. Good shooting there :thumbsup: though I would have to make something with those black hides they look too nice just to throw them away.

Yea, I know they are not common down in the States,
Here however, they outnumber all others by 20 to 1.
Sometimes they are black with a redish/brown tail, sometimes gray. And in the most extreme case, there is this place in Ontario known for white squirrels. Those are high in my to do list.
If you Google it you can see them.
I have never seen one myself.
In over 20 years hunting squirrels, I have never seen a fox squirrel, which are the ones that you guys have. They are listed here in the hunting reg together with blacks and grays , but they must be closer to the border, as I'm sure the black one are to be found in Niagara ,Buffalo areas

we have a few black phase fox squirrels here. I have killed several over the years. More common in the swamp than here in the upland. Great hunt and gorgeous rifle

I saw a black fox squirrel around my place in the '70s. I hunted him when it got cold in order to mount him but never saw him again.

Our fox squirrels are mostly a tan color phase while those in central Alabama were mainly red.

My stomach rumbled when I saw those fat squirrels! Looks like you had a pretty successful day.

Gorgeous rifle, by the way!

Nice job. Squirrel pot pie, mmmm.

We have pockets of black phase grey squirrels here in CT. You will find them in an area of a few square miles and then not see any outside the at area for 10's of square miles. And it's like there is a wall limiting their area, once you hit the edge of it they aren't seen at all.

Nice job on the squirrels.
I live and have hunted in the Kitchener/Waterloo area for many years. I have not hunted in the Barrie area at all.
Nice to see another Canuck into hunting with flintlocks.
There ain't many of us.

Nice rifle and good looking mess of squirrels. :thumbsup:

We have more blacks here than anything else. I hardly ever see a fox squirrel around here, but lots of them south of me fifty miles or so.

Nice batch of squirrels, I started to comment a couple days ago but my kid came running in howling about a cougar in the yard! I do like that Andrew Verner .45!!!

Looks like you had a great morning. That is a fine looking weapon too.....

Latest posts

Back