• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel opener success.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i smelled the crisp air as i entered the woods on sept 1st, the squirrel season opener. i was pumped to finally get out and hunt down some bushy tails. i had my beloved 32 custom flinter and it was ready to put down some squirrels. i snuck through the woods, listening for falling nuts and other signs that squirrels were about. i decided to stop at a small tree below a couple good nut trees. pieces of nuts were raining down but the canapy was extremely thick and hard to see through. as i sat there i heard a stick crack behind me. i looked around to see a big rack coming my way through the bush. i quickly ducked by the tree and watched as a very nice wide 3 to 3 1/2 year old 8 point come up to 15 yards before spotting me and leaving. i will have to find him later on when im packing my 54 ! :haha: well i snuck to another good nut tree where i had seen many squirrels before. i stood there and looked but i couldnt see anything, but i had a instint feeling that there had to be a squirrel around. so i decided to try a little trick i had heard of. i leaned my gun against a tree and walked over to a small leafy sapling. i made a squealing sound by sucking on the back of my hand and started shaking the sapling vigerously. within 10 secounds i looked over to see a fox squirrel come running down a tree. i quickly grabbed my gun and got ready. the squirrel was coming right at me. finally it stopped and i dropped it dead at 11 yards. talk about a rush ! it was awesome, i gutted it and hung it on a branch to cool down while i kept going down the trail
09010018411.jpg

i had walked 125 yards down the trail when i saw a tree top shaking just a little to much to be the wind. i hid behind a tree and watched a nice fox squirrel come down a smaller tree, directly infront of me. it stopped and i put a round ball right in its neck at 18 yards. it hit the ground with a thump, stone dead.
09010019031.jpg

i thanked god for such a successful night and for the delishous meal they would provide. i walked back and grabbed the first squirrel and made my way home. when i got home i took a quick pic then got both squirrels skinned and quartered.
09010019291.jpg

i then put the cut up squirrels in flour then threw them in a cast iron skillet with a little oil. once they were browned on both sides i put a lid on the pan and simmered them for 40 mins. while they were cooking i cleaned the flinter. when the squirrels were done i made a gravy from the leftover in the pan. then i made my dinner which consisted of sourdough biscuits and squirrel pieces smothered in gravy. it was the best squirrel meal ive ever made. it was simply delishous.
09010021241.jpg

i used my custom 32 with 30 grains FFF and a cast .310 roundball. i love squirrel hunting and i hopefully will be able to go out in the next few days. enjoy SS

Sounds like a great outing, felt like I was right there with you...thanks for sharing!
:hatsoff:

:applause: Sounds like a great hunt. Nice pics. That's the way folks used to feed themselves. They hunted it, killed it, cleaned it and ate it. Good job!

Next to squirrel hunting with a flintlock, I love to hear about squirrel hunting with a flintlock. Thanks, nice hunt.

Spence

Good shooting :hatsoff: I have been doing plenty of squirrel hunting last month since it was the only thing I could hunt but got kind of burnt out of the squirrels at the moment. So now I'm hunting doves or at least trying to :rotf: I'm sure I'll get the urge again in a couple of weeks to chase some bushytails.

Nice shooting. :thumbsup: And a nice looking gun too. :thumbsup: I can`t wait to try my flinter out on squirrels for the first time. :)

Nice hunt and story,Snip, hope you done good today. Was nice camping with you and family at Great Trails Rendzvous last two weekends. PP Dilly

Back