• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel takes on the .40cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Well, not much to show for a couple hours in the woods, but never-the-less this ”˜retiree’ got out of the house and the .40cal late Lancaster did its job when called upon.
Only saw two and one was a long ways off...this guy barked at me at about 4:00pm but wouldn't show a good shot...then right around 5:00pm near black dark he came around in full view on the side of his tree...bad idea.

121112Squirrel40calLateLancaster.jpg

How bad is the .40 damage on squirrels opposed to .32? I'm sure a head shot is best, but just wondering. I'm interested in a .40 or maybe .36 as a multi use smaller game rifle. Squirrel,rabbit, woodchucks, called fox, bobcat,coyotes. Even called fall turkeys. I could be missled, but I've always thought a .32 a little low on power for coyotes. Not that I call many but I've had them come in when calling fox with a .22Mag and felt underpowered.

Thanks

IMO, there's a variety of "caliber selection" criteria.

For me, one major priority when spending my funds is to choose something that has a lot of bang for the buck.
Another is, with my interests primarily being hunting, my personal opinion is that a .32/.36 is too specialized / limited, with a .40cal being the smallest I personally wanted to go.

The .40cal has a greater range of hunting capabilities than a .32cal for example, and from an accuracy POV, the .40cal seems to be inherently accurate and from everything I've read, is a favorite caliber among competition shooters...economical for regular range trips, etc.
My first .40cal was a GM drop-in barrel for a T/C Hawken and it was everything I'd heard it to be...then when I managed to get a couple long guns I got this .40cal and it's outstanding.

As far as squirrels go, my personal opinion is that there isn't enough meat on the whole front of a squirrel to worry about damage...the hindquarters having the most. And I'm not good enough to consistently make clean head shots...so if a head/neck/shoulder is presented I take it.

So for me, I'd recommend the .40cal...

I have found that squirrels shot with a 32 are not much different in damage than with a 22 cal longrifle cartridge. However, the first squirrel I shot with a 36 was MAJOR damage. I only take head shots now with the 36 and generally all that's left is some skin hanging there where a head used to be.

As roundball said, if you want something really multi-purpose across a range of small to medium game, then a larger caliber is probably better. If you're looking purely for a rifle for small game (squirrel/rabbit size) a 32 is very adequate and does the job without the significant damage. At least that is my personal experience.

Sweet!!!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I have just decided!! I want to hunt squirrels with a flintlock in every state That has them, before I die!!

As to the rest of the conversation, I have taken squirrels,, rabbits and grouse with round balls ranging from .32 to .54.

As already stated, head shots are best with all calibers, and I'm not usually in a surviaval situation, if I dont have a head shot, I wait.. Not to say I have not made a bad shot or two, but I have not had anything complain about it, but me.

Whose game to join me on my bucket list!!! :)

cynthialee said:
don't bother hunting the tree rats around these parts
they are too small for the effort

+1

its more like tree mice here.

-Matt

wattlebuster said:
Good shootin RB. Sounds like you like your 40 as much as I like mine. An thats a whole bunch :grin:
I sure do...would have had a pair of bushy-tails with it but one got a free pass.
I was braced solid, elbows on my knees, set the trigger and had literally started applying finger pressure when he bolted higher up the tree trunk he was on and I lost sight of him...otherwise he'd have been in the photo too...maybe next time.

i prefer my .32 for squirrels but have shot plenty with my .40,i like to stay with head shots but that dont always happen. anyway,good shooting Roundball :hatsoff:

jrmflintlock said:
I have just decided!! I want to hunt squirrels with a flintlock in every state That has them, before I die!!

that sounds like a worthy goal,count me in. :wink:

cynthialee said:
don't bother hunting the tree rats around these parts
they are too small for the effort

I just want the big fat ones!!! Good Grub..

I'm Sure there is something else I can hunt in your state.. Grouse, Deer.. anything.. I'm Game!!

david50 said:
jrmflintlock said:

that sounds like a worthy goal,count me in. :wink:

Where do we want to start?? So Many Choices :grin:

Saeson is Over in NM, Anyone want to go to Colorado? I can start there!!

jrmflintlock said:
I Love takin'turkeys with the smokepole!!!
First one I ever took with a 20ga Flintlock was as much or more of a rush than my first Flintlock buck...

Back